Chapter 26

I heard his voice in my head so many times over the long months. The siren's call, in my dreams. But nothing sent shivers up my spine than his real words. It was really him. My ex lover, my enemy, the man I had sworn to slay. It was King Samuel Skyes.

I didn't say anything. The words had escaped me. Samuel had me in his grasp.

"I'll need your dungeon, your majesties." Samuel said, strutting down the aisle of the throne.

"Whatever you need, King Skyes."

"On behalf of Vendov, thank you. You will be rewarded for your loyal allyship." Guards! Take him to the dungeon. Chain him up. I'll be down soon."

They did as their king commanded. The drug me down to the dark dungeon underground. It was dark and the ground was wet. It was as cold as the deep sea. I could hear the occasional screech from a rat, followed by scurrying feet. I was the only prisoner in the dungeon. Belmonte was always known for being a peaceful kingdom, but it seemed that Vendov turned them dark.

The guards lit torches, granting small point of visibility. They chained my arms and legs to a wall. My arms were strapped above my head, sending a shooting pain from my finger tips to my toes. Every muscle in my body stiffened, as if it were mustering any form of defense.

The guards were quiet, and waited for any form of instructions. I considered attempting a bargain, but I had nothing to even offer them. I couldn't go down from Samuel trapped to a damp dungeon wall. It would not be the end of my fight.

He did as he said and joined the guards into the basement. Samuel had looked the same as the day as I firs met him. Perhaps more tired than before, but otherwise the same. He still wore the small golden crown on his already golden head of hair.

"It's been too long, hasn't it? I've looked forward to this reunion for too long." A twisted smile formed on his face. I could only imagine the dark thoughts racing through his mind.

"Guards! Leave me be." He demanded.

"Are you sure, your highness?"

"Yes. Zander and I have some unfinished business here. Away with all of you."

They bowed and followed their kings commands. They went up the winding stairs and left me alone with Samuel.

Samuel approached me, examined me.

"You look different." He said. He grabbed my arm and squeezed it like a snake, squeezing the last bit of life out of its living prey.

"You aren't the scrawny prince I used to know. Didn't know you had it in you." He released from his grasp.

"If you're going to kill me just do it. Get it over with."

"Oh, no. I don't think so, Princey. The Vendov king told me to make you suffer. He said your parents didn't suffer enough when they died, so I must ensure your pain is enough for the entire family."

"Haven't you done enough? When will the cruelty end?"

"It ends when the last drop of blood drips out of you. When the light fades from your eyes and you're heart stops pounding. It ends with you."

"I know that's not true! The Vendov king will terrorize innocent people until he rules all the kingdoms, and has his own empire!"

"The world would be better off. Better with Vendov then letting foolish kings like you or your father rule." Samuel said.

"Samuel. Please. Don't do this. You don't have to work for him."

"Pleading won't save you. It's far too late for that."

Samuel pulled out a variety of weapons from his belt.
"Remember the pirates? How they tortured us until we could barely breathe?" Samuel said, unpacking the weapons.

"What the Vendov king what's me to do to you is much worse. After I'm done with you, he wants me to visit your child. What will Mavis do without the two of you?"

"No. He made a deal. He told her parents that Mavis or the baby wouldn't be harmed."

"How far has honesty gotten you, Princey?"

I couldn't believe I loved someone so cruel. Wanting to hurt me was different then hurting an innocent child. Not just any child, Mavis's child.

"You will NOT hurt my family. Ever."

"What are you going to do about it? You may have gotten muscles, but you're still the weak man I met, daydreaming out the window while your wife ruled. You're pathetic."

Something consumed me. It was a new feeling I hadn't felt before. I had experienced intense anger, but nothing to the level I had in that dungeon. It wasn't hot, angry, rage. It was cold and hard. My blood felt thicker, as if it couldn't pump through my veins anymore. My heart felt like a lump of clay sitting in my chest. I didn't feel like me anymore. I didn't feel human.

My eyes widened without my control. My body was no longer mine. My arms and legs grew, ripping me out of the wall shackles. My clothes shredded into pieces. My flesh faded, dark scales covered my body. I grew and grew, until Samuel looked like nothing but a bug.

I let out a scream, but it wasn't empty. Fire had come out with it. Samuel, being the bug he was, was petrified with fear. His terrified face was the last thing I had remembered.