Chapter 56

Orion and I did not waste a moment rushing to the king's chambers.

The chambers were surrounded by staff anxiously waiting outside.

I asked a woman in a uniform what was going on.

"I don't know, your majesty. A doctor and a healer are in there."

I felt someone push against my back.

"Let me though! I need to see him!" Timothy pushed back the crowd of people and pushed down the door. He left the door open.

We followed him into the king's chambers. Galen and the doctor hovered around the large bed. Timothy wedged his way between them, before collapsing to his knees.

We followed him in there and closed the door behind us.

"YOU! YOU DID THIS!" Timothy screamed. His face was as red as a tomato.

"Timothy, I haven't seen him since last night." I defended.

"YOU MUST'VE POISONED HIM! WE MUST THROW THESE TRAITORS TO THE DUNGEON!" Timothy yelled to the doctor through his tears.

We stepped closer to the king, seeing him in eye view. He laid in bed peaceful, as if he was sleeping. In his hand set envelopes, sealed with the Darlington crest.

"Timothy, look. The king left us a final message." The doctor gently removed the envelopes out of his hands.

"I DON'T CARE ABOUT LETTERS! YOU! HEALER! CAN'T YOU BRING HIM BACK?"

"I sadly cannot. I can try to heal the living, but once they are gone, there's nothing I can do." Galen said truthfully.

"Timothy, look." The doctor handed him the top envelope.

Timothy

"That's.. That's his hand writing." Timothy sobbed.

His name was written on the envelope in beautiful cursive. Timothy grasped it with his unsteady hands.

"HE CAN'T BE DEAD. HE CAN'T." He cried, staring down at the enclosed letter.

"Timothy, I know what it's like-"

"I DON'T CARE! JUST GET THE FUCK OUT OF DARLINGTON!" Timothy shoved past me, moving me out of his way. He left the room.

"Your majesty, there appears to be a letter here for you as well."

Zander

The doctor handed it to me.

"I'm so sorry. I never expected this to happen." I told the doctor.

"His majesty was aging. He lived a long life. We all knew it was coming. I just fear instability within the kingdom, due to him never producing any heirs."

Several staff came in the room and covered the king's body up with a sheet.

"We will prepare him for the service." The servants said.

Just like that, we were alone again. The letter stayed in my hand, unopened.

"I don't know why he'd leave me a letter. I had only met him yesterday." I told Orion.

"Take your time. Open it when you're ready." Orion said.

I left the castle, hoping to gain some privacy. I wore my cloak and rode outside the village. The sun was golden, as was the baked ground. The leaves were a variety of colors that danced through the light wind.

Upon a hill, under a large oak tree is where I found myself. It overlooked the village and the castle, giving me a wonderful view of the countryside.

I couldn't believe he had died so suddenly. He seemed to be a love struck man with a big heart.

I took my finger and gently tore open the envelope.

Dear  King Zander,

I know I am unwell. I am glad my life lasted long enough to meet you and your friends. I know the pain was not nothing. I'm old. My heart is giving out. There's not much more to it.
I appreciate you taking your time to come to Darlington, and I wanted to thank you for allowing me to tell you things that I had never told anyone. You are kind, Zander. Don't let anything corrupt your kindness. It is necessary to be kind in the cruel world we live in, I hope you remember that long after I'm gone.
Don't be like me, an old fool who fell in love and was too afraid to share it with the world. The world will hate, but it cannot stop you from loving. If it's Orion, or someone else entirely. Do not leave your feelings unattended, or you'll end up like me.

I said I would give you an answer in the morning. Here it is: I have appointed Timothy to be my heir. I am to hope that the kingdom will accept him. But if the crown is too much for him to bear; if it is something he does not want, I am entrusting Darlington to you.
If Timothy declines, you, King Zander Bray, are my appointed heir of Darlington.