Chapter 31

"Zander! You can't be serious!" Mavis jumped out of her seat.

"I am."

"You asked him to come to our top secret meeting?" Mavis snapped.

"Who are you?" Daniel asked.

"I'm Orion."

"Orion is the son of the Vendov king." Charles said.

Daniel and Johnny exchanged looks. Their stare returned to me.

"He's just walking around here freely?" Daniel said, hovering his hand over the sheath of his sword. Johnny copied him.

"I trust him. I think he's here to help."

"He knows the most about his father and his armies. He studied war under his father. He could be extremely valuable to our success."

"And if he betrays us?" Johnny said.

"I'll kill him myself." I said.

Johnny and Daniel removed their hands and returned to their seats.

"I am a man of my word. I traveled from Vendov to fight against my father. He's an awful tyrant and an unworthy king."

"He sent Samuel, and now he sent you?" Daniel said.

"No. We wouldn't fall for that again." I said.

"Mavis, are you allowing this?" Daniel questioned.

Mavis let out a heavy breath.

"If Zander has trust in him, so do I. I think he may have valuable insight on our strategy. If he does anything even slightly shady, we will kill him." She said.

Daniel bowed his head in agreement and released his hand from hovering his sword.

"Can I sit now?" Orion asked.

I nodded. He sat on the end closest to the door of the round table. Mavis sat on the opposing end, I was wedged between Charles and Orion.

"Now that everyone's here, we need to decide what to say to the Lafayette people." Mavis said.

"Yes, they're waiting to hear from their king. They had a long and dangerous journey, and they are willing to fight for Lafayette. But they need to know it's not a lost cause. Do we have supplies? Other armies? Allies?" Johnny said.

"We need a plan." Mavis said.

"Orion, you have experience in this. Please, help us."

"I need to know everything to help you. I need to know your strengths, your weaknesses, your fears. And this information will stay in this room." He said.

I took a deep breath. We told him everything. We told him about my history with Samuel, Mavis and Daniel, and my new ability that I had little to no control over. Some of the information was new to Johnny and Daniel as well.

"That's a lot to take in." Orion said with wide eyes.

"You said you needed to know everything. That's everything."

"And no one else besides this room knows that you're part dragon now?" He said.

"Samuel might. But I don't know. When I changed in front of him is such a blur." I admitted.

"Alright, here's what I think. I think since the world might know that King Zander Bray has a dragon, we tell the world you have a dragon. Just don't tell them it's you. It could potentially put a larger target on your back, and it's best to keep that secret from our enemies if Samuel doesn't already know."

"And if he does?" Daniel said.

"Then my father already knows. Either way, he will come after you."

"I am also worried about the safety of my child. We don't know what to tell people." Daniel spoke up.

"The Lafayette people are going to support and protect their king. I think they would go out of their way to protect his child as well. They might be angry if they find out their king's wife had a child with another man."

"I'm not the only one who had another partner, Zander did too." Mavis spoke up in defense.

"Yes, but no matter. They will want to support their king, and less internal conflict will be better for us."

"It could also put my child in more danger by being Zander's child." Mavis said.

"Belmonte has declared itself as an enemy to Vendov when you took the throne. Your child is in danger from being your child already. At least if the loyalists believe it's Zander's child, it will have more protection from the Lafayette people."

"Is it right to lie to them, though?" Zander said.

"It sucks. It does. But I do think this is the best way to keep the baby safe, and keep the relationship between the queen and the knight a secret."

Mavis and Daniel exchanged looks at each other from across the table.

"Fine. Agreed." Mavis said. Daniel remained silent on the matter.

"I also think it'll be essential to gather up any Belmonte troops to support you, and gather any allies you can. We need to convince them that we can with the war against Vendov."

"A lot of the loyalists need to be trained. Many of them are strong supporters, but they are not ready to see battle." Johnny said.

"We'll train them. You and Daniel will." I said.

"I agree. You two are the best Lafayette has." Mavis said.

"I think this is our best starting point, but Zander, the Lafayette people will want to hear it from you. You'll have to answer their questions." Orion told me.

"We don't have a plan on Zander's ability. How does he train for that? What if he transforms in front of everyone?" Mavis said.

"That sounds like a task for Zander on another day." Orion said.

"I hate to say it, but he's right. The people need to hear from you today." Johnny said.

Once our meeting had finished, we all broke apart. Johnny and Daniel summoned everyone to the Belmonte Throne room. Mavis and I waited in her chambers for the throne room to fill in. She wore a golden tiara on top of her head. It was decorated with pearls and pink gems. She held a hefty crown in her hands and extended them out to me.

"You should wear this. It was one of my father's. Not like he deserved to wear it." She said.

I hadn't worn a crown in over a year. It almost felt wrong.

"I don't know if I should." I hesitated.

"I'm sure your people would love to see a Bray back on a throne with a crown on. Show them that you're back, and that you're fighting for them." She said.

I lowered my head and allowed her to place the hefty crown on my head. It was golden like hers, and encrusted with small pink gems.

"I forgot how heavy crowns can be." I said.

There was a knock on the door. It was Daniel.

"They're ready for you two, your majesties."