Chapter 38

I stood outside my own chambers in a guard uniform briefly. I heard them talking in hushed tones for a while. It was a short matter before I began to hear the rustling and removal of clothing. I decided then it was time for be to begin patrolling before I heard other things I didn't want to hear.

I wondered the castle in the creaky uniform. Things seemed quiet at night. Opal was fast asleep with a servant. The loyalists had all knocked out from the tough training Johnny had put them through.

Daniel's gear made my body feel like it was drenched in water. Running in it had to be extremely difficult, I thought.

I passed an occasional servant throughout the castle. Fortunately they didn't exchange words from me. I did not face any encounters until the east wing.

Orion was approaching towards his chambers. We passed each other going the opposite ways.

"Good evening, Daniel." He greeted politely. My stomach twitched as I lowered my head. I raised my hand up and waved at him and attempted to continue on my way.

"You seem to be in a hurry, is everything alright?" He stopped.

I turned back to him and nodded. I picked up my pace and continued walking.

I was just about to turn the corner, I thought I was safe from Orion's view.

Bam!

I fell with a loud crash to the ground. Orion had tackled me to the ground. He sat on top of me and pulled out a dagger.

"Who are you? A spy? How did you get in here?" He said. I raised up my hands in defense.

"Tell me. If my father sent you I will kill you." He said, pushing it closer to my neck.

"Orion. Shh! It's me!" I said through the stuffy helmet.

"I don't care who you are. If my father sent you, you are an enemy to me." He said.

I pulled up the shield on the helmet, revealing my face. Orion lowered his dagger.

"Zander?" He said in confusion.

I shushed him. He got off of me and helped me back up. He put his dagger away.

"I apologize. I thought you-."

"I appreciate your caution. But I should continue my rounds. As head guard, it is my duty."I said, clearing my throat.

"Well, Daniel.. I have some strategies I would like to run by you, the head guard. Would you follow me to my chambers?"

My heart flickered a little thinking about going into his chambers alone. Nevertheless, I followed him.

He closed the door behind me. His room was warm. Books and maps were scattered all over his desk. Candles provided light for us. His bed was unmade.

Orion closed the door behind us.
I took off the dense helmet once we were officially alone.

"Why are you in Daniel's clothes? I thought we were being ambushed or spied on." He said.

"Mavis really needed to see Daniel this evening. He is the king tonight, and I am the head guard." I explained.

"That could be dangerous. If anybody finds out it could cause upset among the loyalists."

"Nobody will know. Besides you. You mustn't tell anyone."

"Of course I won't. I'm relieved to see that Daniel is alright, and not naked and killed somewhere."

"He may be naked, but certainly not dead." I said.

"Very well. Glad to hear it. I apologize for the quality of my chambers. I've been meaning to tidy up. I didn't plan on having a guest."