𝚃𝚊𝚙𝚎 𝟼, 𝚂𝚒𝚍𝚎 𝙰

"I've told you about two of the worst decisions I've ever made, and the damage left behind

"I've told you about two of the worst decisions I've ever made, and the damage left behind... and the people who got hurt. This one's on me. It wasn't the decision to go to the party. Because how could I have known? But it was the same night. Remember that story I was saving for later? Well, this is it. And it's all about you... Clay. Well, and Grace, of course."

Clay paces around the park, utterly scared for what's to come. Even though he should already know what was on his tape, he truly didn't have any possible idea what he could've done. Tony and Grace follow him to make sure that he doesn't do anything irrational like he usually does. But he eventually places himself down on the park bench in defeat, staring at the tape player.

He then looks up at Tony with a heartbroken expression, "How the hell am I supposed to listen to this?" He asks sadly and Grace places a hand on his shoulder.

"I think the asshole answer is you put the headphones on, the cassette tape in, and you press play." Tony remarks, hint of humour in his voice.

Grace manages a small smile at the comment but Clay doesn't find it one bit humorous. "That is the asshole answer, isn't it?"

Grace finally decides to speak up, "But it's the right answer, Clay. We need to do this, not just for Hannah but for ourselves as well."

"I can't... be here." Clay hesitates, looking around the park, his eyes stopping at the slide where Hannah and Justin had their first kiss together. "Tony, I need you to drive."

"Where do you want to go?" He asks simply.

"Just... anywhere. Somewhere else."

The three of them retreat to Tony's red convertible car, Grace once again in the backseat, but this time she doesn't mind. They begin to drive around the city, Clay and Grace find the courage to put on the headphones and start listening to the tape.

"Clay, I know you're asking yourself why you're on these tapes. What could you possibly have done? What else could've happened the night of Jessica's party? Part of me was saying, 'ask me again.' Part of me was saying, 'don't go, not even for Clay.' I should've listened to that part of me."

Grace pauses the tape and thinks back to the night of Jessica's party, after rushing out of the bathroom, she found Clay. Now that she thinks about it, he did look quite shocked and disheveled, but what could've happened to have made him so stunned?

"See, I never told you, Clay, but I've always admired you. You are who you are, and you don't care. And I always cared what other people thought of me, as much has I acted like I didn't. Is that a boy/girl thing, or a Clay/Hannah thing? I bet you also wish you'd never gone to Jessica's. I bet you wished you never invited me. I'd talk to you a million times before, but tonight was different, and I didn't know what to say to you. But when you finally came up to me, you knew just how to break the ice. You made it seem so... easy."