𝚃𝚊𝚙𝚎 𝟼, 𝚂𝚒𝚍𝚎 𝙱

Grace wakes up and groans at the harsh light that's coming from her blinds

Grace wakes up and groans at the harsh light that's coming from her blinds. She rolls over and goes to cuddle into Justin but realises that he's not even there anymore. He must have left not long ago because she can still smell his scent on her pillows and his place on the bed is still warm. She hopes he's okay, he's been through a lot the past night and she doesn't want him doing anything that's irrational.

Sighing, she gets up and goes to take a shower, doing her normal routine: Shampoo, conditioner, body wash, shave.

After washing, she stays there under the hot water, feeling the sting of the heat but doesn't get out, feeling it to be relaxing and therapeutic.

Once she's done with that, she drags herself out of the shower and changes into her clothes for the day. She brushes her hair, leaving it to air dry because she doesn't want to style it.

She then walks down the stairs and into the kitchen to see her mother making breakfast, her father eating and her brother making coffee.

She places herself down at the table as her mom begins to speak. "About the Baker trial—"

"Can we just have one morning without discussing that?" Her dad interrupts rhetorically.

"The subpoenas go out today." She remarks back at him, feeling utterly stressed about the work she has yet to do.

"Who's getting one besides me?" Clay asks.

"Sorry, Clay. I'm not at liberty to discuss it." Lainey responds regretfully. "Look, the other day, you asked me if a person could be prosecuted if they hurt someone, but the victim couldn't come forward. You said it was hypothetical, but... you were talking about Hannah, weren't you?"

"I wasn't actually." Clay responds.

"Because if something happened to her and you were involved in any way..."

"You think I hurt her?" Clay questions, hurt that his mother could even think that of him. "But if I did hurt her, and I admitted it, I could go to jail."

"W-well, this is a civil proceeding, not criminal. But it is a sworn testimony." Lainey replies, not quite knowing where the conversation was leading to.

"So, if I lied, it's perjury."

Lainey looks at Matt for help, but he just continues eating and ignores her, not wanting to be involved. Grace also doesn't say anything.

"Why would you need to lie?" She asks.

"If I knocked down a stop sign and a kid got killed, is that manslaughter?"

Grace's eyes widen, feeling the need to speak up, "Oh, my God, Clay. Just shut up and eat your damn breakfast." She snaps, not wanting to talk about Hannah or the trial no longer.

"Clay, what the hell are we talking about?" Lainey demands, her eyes widened as well.

"I'm sorry, Mom. But I'm not at liberty to discuss it." Clay says, using her own words against her logically, Lainey looking at him unimpressed.