𝚃𝚊𝚙𝚎 𝟽, 𝚜𝚒𝚍𝚎 𝙰

"One last try

"One last try. I'm giving life one last try. I recorded twelve tapes. I started with Justin, and then Jessica, who each broke my heart. Alex, Tyler, Courtney, Marcus, who each helped to destroy my reputation. On through Zach and Ryan, who broke my spirit. Through tape number twelve, Bryce Walker, who broke my soul."

Pain.

That's all Grace seems to feel.

She doesn't blame Justin. She probably should, but she cannot find it in herself to. In her mind, she knows that he was always too good for her. He was bound to realise this and leave her one day. But unfortunately, that day came early and she doesn't know how to deal with it.

Her parents knows something is up, but neither were close enough to her to ask her about it.

But Clay knows it all. After sobbing her heart out to him, she came completely clean and expressed everything that had happened between her and Justin from the past year.

He didn't know what to do at first. He thought that it was only a small crush and that neither of them were involved in a secret relationship. He never would have guessed; they hid it so well.

Grace wakes up once again with tear stains on her cheeks, recalling what had happened for the one thousandth time. She blows out a shaky breath and gets ready for another depressing day without him.

"But a funny thing happened as I finished number twelve. I felt something... shift. I had poured it all out. And for a minute, just a minute... I thought maybe I could beat this. But this time, I was asking for help... because I know I can't do it alone. I know that now. Of course if you're listening to this, I failed. Or he failed and my fate is sealed."

She takes over an hour to get ready, not having the motivation to do anything and she goes downstairs. She slumps herself down in a kitchen seat next to her dad and Clay, not saying a word. She notices her dad look at her wearily from the corner or her eye but neither utter a word.

Her parents are absolutely furious with Clay for coming home late. He also returned with cuts and bruises on his face. Grace didn't realise at first, being too busy crying her eyes out in heartbreak but once she calmed down, Clay explained everything that had went on between him and Bryce that same night.

Bryce had confessed to raping Hannah, Clay smartly recording the conversation. Everything turned out great for him, apart from the fact that he had got beaten to a bloody pulp for angering Bryce. But Clay thought it was worth it.

Grace considered going to Bryce's herself, confronting him about how he's beaten her brother. But she's aware that it would do no good and that she would only get herself into trouble.

Without Justin, she was inevitably going to go insane, and everyone knew this.

Matt Jensen stares at Clay, watching his every move. "Are you giving me the silent treatment, or is it the other way around?" He asks him. "Shouldn't it be the other way around?"