𝚂𝚖𝚒𝚕𝚎, 𝙱𝚒𝚝𝚌𝚑𝚎𝚜

The car ride was surprisingly calm

The car ride was surprisingly calm. It was clear that Justin had tired himself out as he rests his head against the window hopelessly. He can't believe that he almost messed things up with Grace once again. He seriously needed to sort himself out so that they could have a happy future together. While Justin was thinking of this, Grace was thinking about how to tell him about the clubhouse. Not even ten minutes of finding Justin, Clay had texted her to inform her that he finally found the clubhouse. She could just blurt it out, but seeing his hopeless expression stops her.

"Clay has found the clubhouse." She says, her words treading lightly, not wanting to startle the boy. When she doesn't get a response from him, she sighs, pinching the bridge of her nose. "Please tell me that you're not high right now, J."

At her insinuation, he swings his head around and his eyes snap to her. "Jesus. No. I'm just tired." Justin tells her and she believes him.

She nods, "I was just making sure."

Justin knows that she has a right to question him, but he's still slightly annoyed that that was the first thing she thought of. Discarding the previous conversation, he pulls out a load of cash, placing it in front of her. "My mom gave me some cash. It's for you, consider it rent. Till I can find something permanent."

"I know she didn't give you that, Justin. Your mom already told me you took it to leave." Grace sighs, but not in anger. "Keep it. Clay and I don't pay rent."

She then stops at a red light, her face turning to the broken boy from beside her. She thickly swallows but feels the need to ask the question, "If you have all that cash... Why'd you call me?"

Justin avoids her eyes, "You said you needed me. And as much as I hate to admit it, it turns out that I need you more than I've ever needed anyone or anything." He expresses vulnerably, not realising the massive smile that's on his girlfriends face at his heartfelt words.

"I need you too. Always." She grabs his hand and stares into his eyes, making sure that he knows just how much he means to her.

***

The next day, the three are at school again. Justin was slightly anxious about going back into school after missing a few days but other than that, everything was going swimmingly. That was until Jessica's father decides to storm out of his car as soon as he meets the eyes of Justin. Grace winces and tries to pull him towards the building but he stays in his spot. Clay looks just as shaken up as his sister as they make eye contact.

"What have you got to say for yourself." Jess' father calls out to him loudly, disturbing a few students that were around them.

Jess rushes after him in a rush, not wanting the added attention. "People are watching."

"I don't care."

"I do! Hey!" Jess steps in front of her dad, grabbing his arm to make eye contact. "Who do you think you're hurting right now?"