Chapter 24: Old Woman Kelpiana

I sat down on a cushion and Old Woman Kelpiana sat down in front of me with a plate of snacks in the middle. Where was the crystal ball? I looked around but couldn't see one. "So, honey what's your first question? The one about the Witch, Kai, or your parents?" I never even got my chance to mumble before she said,"And don't mumble it's not a good habit," I nodded respectfully. "Well, I wanted to know about my mom and my dad. Are they really dead?" I dreaded the answer to my question. Auntie A said they most likely had not but it's more of what she didn't say that made me wonder if maybe they really were gone. "Well, sweetheart all I can say is that your parents are not in my eyes. I sense a certain presence but I honestly don't see anyone, honey. I'm terribly sorry." There was an awkward and long silence between us. But Old Woman Kelpiana interrupted the silence for a question,"Now your question about the Witch is, to find one who lies you need to know the one who wants to stay near, keep afar, the one is not selfish and fair keep close so you can keep your job." I scrunched up my face,"A job, what are you talking about? I don't have a job." She waved her hand in the air. "I was thinking about something else, be quiet, cut an aged lady some slack. Now, if you're not aware of those around, they'll pluck you right out of the ground." I blinked. "What?" "It'll make more sense in the future, honey, just pay attention to the facts." I nodded,"Alright, but-" "Next!" Old Woman Kelpiana hollered. I panicked,"But I still have more questions!" The woman's blank eyes widened,"I said next!" It wasn't exactly fitting for a twelve year old girl to argue with an aged woman. "Fine, thank you for your . . ." I racked my brain for a word to suit what she'd done to help me but couldn't find one. "Mmm, good talk," I said.
I swam out to Kai humming to himself. He looked up,"So?" I sat down on the couch and lied down,"She called for you." Kai floated up and swam into the little curtain room.
I didn't mean to be disrespectful, but I was wasting my time with this woman when I should've been defeating Rob. Maybe she didn't like me so she answered my questions with stupidness. A wave of irritation flew over me and my ears rung. I felt them expanding their senses. My eyes grew in shock to what I was hearing. "So what would you like to know about first? Zayana, your parents again, or when the Night Terrors are coming back?" That was Old Woman Kelpiana's voice. I was hearing Old Woman Kelpiana's voice as if in the little room myself. How was this happening? "I don't want to know about Zayana. I just want to know, are they coming back? Are they dead?" "Oh honey, you finally asked that question, well, no. They aren't coming back, I'm so sorry." One second of silence passed. Two . . . Three . . . "Are you alright, darling?" I stayed stiff in my spot, I felt so horrible. I shouldn't have been listening to this. I wanted to go into the curtain room and give Kai one of those massive, long hugs that Auntie A would usually give me when I was sad, and then she would rub my head and say everything was going to be alright, that everything was going to work out. And then she would kiss my head and say two things, either if I wanted to get some ice cream or if I wanted to go to the candy shop and collect a bag of candy. "Yeah I'm-I'm fine. My next question is when are the Night Terrors coming back?" I heard a wince,"Oh no, honey you either come back here with all your friends or you need to get ready soon. They're coming in maybe 3 weeks." I heard a rush of tails,"What? I've gotta go. Bye! Stay safe."
Kai swam out grabbed my hand, pulled me on his back and blasted through the door, leaving it open before I could object. He swam so fast I had to keep my eyes shut the entire trip. After a little bit, Kai whistled. "Puffer! Come here, girl!" I looked at Kai through the currents,"Who are you talking to? And who's Puffer?" Suddenly a cute, little, pink, baby squid came up with a little bag around its waist. It's little tentacles fluttering up and down with the water. Papers stuck out and I also noticed the little bottles of ink inside, with a little feather in one. "Awww, he's so cute." Kai turned toward me and then quickly turned back around,"She. It's a she." I slid off and Kai swam forward. "Puffer, I need you to take this note to Kylie," he said this while writing down on a piece of paper with the feather,"and make sure you give it to her and her only. We don't want another incident like last time. I don't even know how Prince Agua found you that time. That amazed me." Prince Agua? "Can't we just go to your house?" I asked "But I was planning to take you to-" I lifted my hand like my aunt does to show the conversation was over and you better just listen to me. "No, Kai, please just take me to your house. I don't want to be here." I didn't say with you, though I knew he understood what I meant. Kai opened his mouth and hurt rolled across his face.