15. OLD HABITS DIE HARD

It's been extremely quiet since Jimin and Taehyung sat down at their favourite café. Quite honestly, the former isn't entirely sure what to say. Yes, he lost both of his parents three years ago but he doesn't believe he truly understood what he was feeling at the time. He wants to console Taehyung as much as he can but right now, it seems that all he can be is a presence in light of sudden, dark revelations.

His best friend has been staring at his mug of hot chocolate ever since it got handed to him. Jimin is sure that by this point, it's cold. And the whipped cream is lifeless, just like he is.

Taehyung's fingertips tap against the side of the mug and his chews on his bottom lip. Jimin studies him quietly, wondering what's going on inside of his head. He doesn't want to force anything out of him because that's exactly what people did to him when he was younger. And it doesn't help if said person doesn't feel like talking about it.

"That's why I was gone," he speaks up and Jimin's mouth parts slightly in surprise. "My grandmother is sick and I knew that she was. I just didn't think it was this bad. I expected to go and visit and see how she's doing. It would have been a short trip - I would have been back sooner." A tear slides down his cheek, as much as he tries to hold it in.

And Jimin wants to reach out and brush it away but he chooses to stay where he is. Taehyung still hasn't looked him in the eyes yet and he doesn't want to insert himself into his personal space.

"I talked about her all the time. I kind of wish you got to meet her because as you know, she basically raised me. And although I maybe didn't turn out just exactly as she had hoped―"

"Taehyung," Jimin interjects and because of how sharp his tone is, the lilac haired boy finally looks up at him with wide eyes. "There is absolutely nothing wrong with how you turned out. You're you and that's what matters. The first mistake a parent can make is having specific expectations and ideals for how their kids are going to grow up. Their second mistake is forcing those expectations and ideals onto them when they don't get what they want."

Taehyung presses his lips together, listening earnestly to his best friend. "You think so?" He wipes at his red cheeks, eyes glossy.

"I do." Jimin smiles. "And I'm certain she's looking down at you right now. I don't know what you believe in, Tae, but she will always be with you wherever you go." He reaches out and pushes Taehyung's cold hot chocolate to the side, grabbing his hands.

He doesn't expect the boy to chuckle. Not that it isn't welcomed because it's one of his favourite sounds. It just takes him by surprise. "What?" Jimin questions.

"Your hands are just so small." He then starts to play with Jimin's fingers and although the latter is partly bewildered by Taehyung's sudden change in attitude, he's amused more than anything.

"If playing with my hands and judging their size is what makes you happy, then I'm happy." Jimin watches Taehyung as he compares the sizes of their pinkies, smiling softly.

"Thank you," Taehyung says quietly, eyes still lingering over their hands. "This was good. Talking about it. I feel better." He smiles.

"Of course, Tae. We're friends. It's what I'm here for." Jimin's lips rise at the corners. "Do you want a new hot chocolate?" he asks, pulling his hands away.

The boy shakes his head. "No, I'm okay. I promised Hoseok Hyung I'd help clean up the mess I made. He was gonna do it for me." Taehyung almost slides out of the booth fully but stops at the very edge of his seat, looking at Jimin. "Did you two get into a fight?"

Jimin chews on the inside of his cheek, staring at his lap. He wouldn't describe it as a fight. But they definitely didn't get off on the right foot. "No, everything's fine. I think I'm gonna do some more of my homework while I'm here. I'm falling behind in my classes."