20. AND YOU'RE MINE

Jeongguk is sorting through layers of paperwork and files when he hears a knock on his office door. He keeps his eyes glued to his desk, calling out a "Come in."

He doesn't need to look up to know who it is. He can tell just by the way that his feet hit the ground. "What do you want?" Jeongguk asks bluntly, fingertips grazing the corner of his papers.

"Who knew you could become just as cold as me at only 27," his father replies, voice slightly gruff.

"I'm not as cold as you. Not even close." Jeongguk doesn't look the man in his eyes, keeping them focused on the loose-leaf sitting on his desk. "And I never will be."

A chuckle fills the room, everything but humorous. Suddenly hands flatten over the surface of his bureau and he looks up at his father, noting his drastic change in demeanor.

"How is it that you ended up so differently than your brother and your sister? I have a hard time wrapping my head around how you can be so irresponsible," he says and Jeongguk sinks his teeth down into the inside of his cheek.

"It's because mom was the one who raised me. And she did it right." Suddenly there's a loud smack against the desk but Jeongguk doesn't flinch. He's used to pushing his luck when it comes to his father.

"She has done nothing for our family. You should forget about her, Jeongguk." Finally, he moves his hands away, shoving them into the pockets of his dress pants. "And speaking of distractions, I can tell your work hasn't been up to it's potential lately. Whatever it is that you have going on, you need to sort it out," he states.

And as annoying as it is, Jeongguk feels some kind of relief from his words because this means that Ro-un didn't mention anything after their conversation.

"I'm doing just fine. I didn't need you to come down to the city to monitor me," he retorts, stacking his papers neatly on his desk before he leans back into his chair, placing his hands behind his head.

Haeso shakes his head, running his fingers down his chin. "Are you sure? This is your branch but I'm the founder of this business, Jeongguk. Our goal is to have it widespread and I can't have your incompetence dismantling the plan."

"Did you come here just to slander me? Since we're on the topic of distractions, you're being one of them right now. You come in here, complaining about my work ethic, just to interrupt what I was working on," Jeongguk retorts, brazen in his approach. He stands from his office chair, fixing the cuffs of his sleeves at his elbows. "And stop sending my siblings as some kind of messenger."

For once, the mans seems almost speechless. Almost. Jeongguk turns away from him, looking out the window and at the city as he shoves his hands into his pockets. His father doesn't join him, rather stares at him from the back and Jeongguk can feel it.

"I know you're seeing somebody," he states through the silence and Jeongguk tenses. "I'm not sure for how long or who. But I'm wondering why you've been trying to keep it a secret. Is it somebody to be ashamed of?" His question has Jeongguk turning on his heel, staring him in his recessed eyes.

"My personal life is none of your concern. I don't need your approval and I most definitely do not need to report to you or anyone about who I'm seeing. I'm not some irresponsible teenage boy. I'm fucking 27 years old and you should start treating me like it," Jeongguk snaps.

Unexpectedly, the man lets out a laugh after the initial shock of Jeongguk's rant settles in. He clicks his tongue, peering down at the watch encompassing his wrist. "It most certainly is my concern. Because I have somebody I want you to meet, Jeongguk. Somebody who is most definitely better than whoever it is you may be seeing," he replies, voice leveled.