40. NOT PERFECT, BUT OKAY

Jeongguk has been driving around for an hour. He doesn't even know what he's looking for and if he did, he doubt he would even find anything.

This isn't what he wanted. Things weren't supposed to get this complicated. He never thought it was possible for things to get this complicated.

Not too long ago, he had it easy. As easy as he possibly could have as a businessman. Although it was a brutal cycle and he had to force himself to convince himself that he was happy, it was his life. And he was used to it.

He made so many sacrifices that he can't even pretend to regret. Because most of them were for Jimin. The one thing that he has always been sure about, even when nothing seems to be falling into place. Even when there seems to be nothing to be sure of. Jimin is a constant. Even in his current state of anger and irrationality, he can understand that.

His phone is ringing in the passenger seat but he ignores it. He drives around the city for as long as he can to try and loosen up. But he keeps his eyes open, hoping for some kind of miracle.

He passes the gas station and would have questioned the clerk if it wasn't closed. He ends up driving by the company building when he catches something in the corner of his eyes. The back of a Lamborghini peaking out from an alleyway.

Jeongguk climbs out of his car, closing the door quietly. When he creeps over to the vehicle, he hides behind different objects on his way, trying to keep hidden. The car is black and when he notices the license plate number, his heart drops.

"I told you to hurt them while you were in there, was that too much to ask of you?"

"I'm sorry, Ro-un-ssi. I tried but I couldn't find them and —"

"You had one job and you fucked it up. I don't care about the money. I have more than I need. You failed to complete the main objective while somehow managing to clear out all of the money from the cash register for yourself. Are you seeing the problem here? Useless. You're absolutely useless to me. At this point I should have done it myself."

Jeongguk's heart hammers in his chest. There's absolutely no way his brother is involved in all of this. Not to mention in charge.

He can feel his blood boiling and his anger rippling throughout his body. He should stay back, keep hidden. But he can't. The anger takes over him and he hurls himself out of place, walking toward his younger brother.

When Ro-un notices him, even in the night, Jeongguk can see the way he pales like a ghost. But it lasts only a second before he's grinning from ear to ear like some kind of psychopath.

When Jeongguk gets about a foot away, he swings his arm forward and lands a punch against the side of his face, temporarily rattling his balance. Immediately after, the pawn has Jeongguk's arms pinned behind his back. He isn't so much brave but definitely strong.

Ro-un's jaw clenches. He drags his fingers by the corner of his mouth, staring at the blood on his fingertips. He looks up at Jeongguk, chuckling.

"What have you done?" Jeongguk asks breathlessly, fidgeting.

Ro-un begins to pace, fixing his hair. He rounds Jeongguk in circles. "It's called process of elimination. Have you ever heard of it?" he asks.

Jeongguk's jaw twitches. His hair falls over his eyes with each jerk and his anger continues to grow with each passing word leaving his younger brother's mouth.

"I'm surprised it took you this long to figure out what was going on. Your life has never been so shitty. It's always been perfect — you've always been the favourite. I wonder how it all could have started to go down hill and so easily? You see, you kickstarted it. With that irresistible blond who you just couldn't keep your hands off of. I do admit, he is pretty. And while I wanted to fuck him, I didn't actually want him."