34. USED TO BE

"I didn't invite you inside, what are you doing?"

"Does it look like I care?"

Jimin's head perks up at the sound of another voice. He closes his laptop and pushes his papers to the side, sliding off of the bed.

Despite being in the bedroom with the door closed, it isn't difficult to figure out who it belongs to. And as of lately, it's enough to make him shake.

Donned in nothing but one of Jeongguk's oversized tops and a pair of boxers, he slips on a pair of shorts. With hesitant footing, he approaches the door to the bedroom, reaching his hand forward. It floats just before the knob as a bang causes him to jolt.

"You have no business in my bedroom. Tell me what you need to tell me so you can fucking leave."

Of course Jimin expected Jeongguk's father to make an appearance but he didn't expect it to be so soon. A couple of days, at the very least, considering how much of a show he was putting on not too long ago. Like a toddler throwing a tantrum.

The door busts open and Jimin is standing at the foot of the bed with his hands held in front of him. His skin pales at the sight of Haeso.

"You seriously resigned from your position just for some man?" Jeongguk's father snaps with boorish behaviour, pointing a finger like a loaded gun.

"You could never understand. And shouldn't you be happy? Ro-un is more than equipped to take my position. I'm sure that's what both of you wanted," Jeongguk retorts, stepping between Jimin and his father.

"No. What I wanted was for you to take responsibility for your work and prioritize the business. It isn't some some sleazy retail job you can walk away from whenever you feel like it. This action will have consequences, Jeongguk," Haeso retorts.

Jeongguk rolls his eyes. "What kind of consequences could you possibly be talking about? You have enough money for a lifetime. Retire. Ro-un is more than willing to take the reigns. He has spent most of his life resenting me for something he never had. Ripping apart the aspects of my life he could change without a second thought. He's merciless. I'm not―"

"You used to be," Haeso interjects. "You used to sit in that office with pride, dedicating all of your time to the company. That's what I needed. That's what you had. And now you've changed because of him."

Jimin can feel his blood boiling beneath his skin. He wants to snap but he doesn't want to make things worse for Jeongguk. So for now, he keeps still and remains in the position they found him in, seething.

"He has nothing to do with this. Don't look at him. Keep your eyes on me," Jeongguk warns his father. "If you have no means of acting civil, I am done talking to you. Get out."

One of Haeso's coarse brows rises. He runs one of his rough hands down his face, releasing a defeated sigh through his chapped lips. "I used to have so much pride in you, just as you did for your work. I blame your mother for the heart you've been given. I can hardly recognize you anymore."

Jeongguk's body tenses and Jimin watches as the man's hand slowly closes in on itself to create a fist. He reaches out from behind, placing his on top of it softly. "I've only just started to recognize the person that I truly am. Not the person you've made me into," he replies. "At one point, you made me believe that the company was what I wanted. I thought that it was my life. All the while it sucked away any real chance I had at living. All of this is on you. Everything."

The harsh sound of a slap resonates in the room. Jeongguk's head has been cranked to the right, disheveled hair covering his eyes. Jimin jolts, grip tightening over the man's arm.