Chapter 5

"You seriously think the spirits of your brothers are in this mansion?" Annabel asked curiously and Jessica nodded. "Can I ask why? I would think even though they had painful deaths that they would have moved on if they believed in that stuff because of all the wonderful things they did while they were alive. All the people that they helped and the things they did for the community, why would they stay?"

Jessica smiled, "Mom and I definitely felt like they would have came back here because this is their home. They found this place was part of the underground railroad and just knew it was their home. North and Silas fixed it up and made it more for them but also made sure it kept its historical heritage. They would want to come back and make sure it stayed the way it was. Plus, they never got justice for their murders, how could they move on when justice hasn't been served?"

"That is true," Annabel nodded. "It is kind of shocking that the murder of fourteen well known men hasn't been solved."

"And it won't," Jessica sighed and shook her head. "Everyone knows it was the men in white but nothing will be done."

"You don't know that," Annabel shook her head. "They are unmasking men from the KKK all the time now. Maybe someone will say something once I open the museum."

"Well, as nice as that is to think about," Jess sighed, "I'm not going to hold my breath on it."

Annabel thought about it for a minute then asked, "Can you tell me more about them?"

"Sure," Jess smiled fondly, "I was nine when they were killed so I don't have many memories but the ones I do have were great. They were always so happy when Mom and I would visit. Even Owen, who was the most formal of the group. They were actually two groups but they were so close they eventually just formed as one family. Owen always wore suits and Sean was a doctor. Kota worked in something with money, he was always counting, he loved numbers. Victor was a musician of some sort, I can't remember for sure but I remember him playing the piano while I would dance. Nathan use to take me swimming in the pool. Luke loved to play tricks on the guys and would always sneak me candy. Gabe was always buying me clothes and dressing me up. North was always so serious but so protective. He was always following me around making sure I wasn't getting hurt with Luke's antics. Silas was so passionate about the ocean and always telling me stories about him being in Greece. He promised to take me out on a boat one time and show me the dolphins and whales but only after the scary men in white were no longer around. Axel would tell me stories of Native American legends and wanted to make sure I always appreciated the world around us because it was a gift. Marc was always making coffee, that's what I remember most about him. The twins Brandon and Corey were always working on something. Brandon was always with the cars and Corey was always working on a computer trying to understand it. Raven was the hardest to understand since he was Russian but he would always watch cartoons with me and made me stay out of his room because it always had guns in it. He was obsessed with guns and use to tell me he would teach me how to protect me myself when I was older, he firmly believed I needed to know how to use a gun. They were all so protective of me and Mom. The night it happened, someone had called Mom and made her promise not to come over. They knew something was going to happen but we never thought it would be what it was. We just thought it would be a fight."

"I'm so sorry," Annabel whispered as she wiped away a tear.

"I am too but at least I have my memories and stories Mom use to tell me about them," Jessica smiled softly. "And I know they helped so many people that wouldn't be here today without their help. This place," She waved around the mansion, "what you are doing to honor them, and knowing they are around watching over gives me peace."

"While I don't believe they are still here," Annabel smiled softly. "But you are more than welcome to come over any time you want to be with them. I'll give you a spare key once I get it made."

"Thank you," Jessica smiled and looked around some more. "So have you found the hidden rooms?"