Chapter 36

Once Annabel no longer felt her legs shaking, she stood and headed to the living room. Collapsing on the couch, she turned on the stereo and wrapped the blanket around herself. Taking a deep breath, she slowly let it out then did it once more.

Feeling the couch shift she jolted her eyes open that she hadn't realized she had closed and felt someone push some of her wavy hair out of her face.

"Easy Pookie, you just fell asleep," Sean said soothingly as he lifted her head and placed it in his lap. "You were very drained after confronting that jerk and fell asleep on the couch."

"Oh," She whispered as Sean pulled her up until she was sitting in his lap and moved her head into the crook of his neck. "So I'm dreaming."

"Yes," North said as he picked up her legs and placed them on top of his lap. "You were brave and reckless these past few days. That man is dangerous."

"Is he connected to your deaths?" She asked sitting up to look at him.

"No," Owen said sternly and with enough conviction she instantly believed him. "But he is still dangerous with the way he is obsessed with Jessica."

"Do you think he will try something?" She asked nervously.

"Yes," Kota nodded, "He wants her too much to back away. You did right by telling her not to come back here but at the same time I want her here to make sure for myself that she is okay. It's a double edge sword right now and I hate it."

"I understand," She nodded softly. "You want her here to protect her as much as you can, but you also don't want her here because you don't want her where Mr. Dixon can get keep harassing her."

"Exactly," Nathan said looking out the window.

"The man that gave me the box?" She asked timidly.

"Yes," Owen said softly.

"Oh," She whispered and looked down at her hands. "Will Ebony be able to pull anything off the clothes and pictures?"

"Probably," Sean sighed, "But possibly not as well. I don't know for sure. Medicine and DNA has become more advanced, but I don't know how well everything was preserved."

"Okay," She nodded softly. "I know you don't want me to know but I do need to know so I can get justice for all of you and find Owen's ring. Is there any more evidence out there?"

"Yes," Luke and Gabriel said at the same time while North tightened his grip on her legs.

"Da," Raven nodded while leaning against the wall.

"Where?" She asked intrigued.

"Nyet," Raven shook his head.

"Why?" She asked getting upset. "If it means helping get you justice then why can't I have access to the possible evidence?"

"Bad," He growled.

"I get that," She sighed, "But I think I can probably handle anything after seeing all those photos and Luke, North, and Gabriel's shirts."

"Seeing the photos is one thing," Marc said, "but seeing the actual weapons are something else."

"You know where some of the weapons are?" She asked getting out of North and Sean's laps. "Where are they? Tell me now."

"No," The team said in unison and she sighed in frustration.

"Why not?" She asked. "It could get you justice!"

"You still haven't recovered from the stuff in the box," Axel said shaking his head. "You may think you are okay but you aren't. You need a few more days to fully comprehend and deal with everything you've seen and read so far. Plus, you are dealing with that asshole and also still restoring the mansion and it's land. You have so much going on right now. When you are really ready, we will tell you where some more evidence is that will help you."

"You're serious?" She asked as she paced around the room and they nodded.

"We don't want you to have a breakdown Annabel," Sean said softly. "Too much stress will cause you to have a mental breakdown and we don't want that to happen. We will tell you but you need to focus on one thing at a time and deal and recover from everything that is happening right now."

"Fine," She sighed and ran her hand through her hair. "I don't like it but I understand."

"Good," North said taking her hands and leading her back to the couch. "Now just sit and try to relax."

"Easy for you to say," She mumbled as Raven stormed over and picked her up. "I'm fine Raven."

"Da," He mumbled as he moved her to lean into his chest. "Rest."

"So mean," She mumbled as she listened to his heartbeat while he ran his fingers through her hair until she slipped into a deeper sleep.