Chapter 7

The door bell rang and Annabel frowned, "Now, who could that be, this late at night?" She asked as she stepped away from the chest she was looking at. She went down the stairs and headed for the front door. She stood on her toes and looked through the peephole, "There's no one there, strange."

"She better not open that door," North grumbled as she reached for the doorknob.

"There's no one out there," Luke said, "There's a box."

Annabel opened the door and frowned spotting a box but no one there. "Curiouser and curiouser," She mumbled as she picked up the box and carried it inside, shutting the door with her foot. She sat it down on the table, went back and locked the door then went back to the box. She pulled a knife out of her pocket and cut open the box.

"Where have knife?" Raven asked impressed.

"It was in her pocket," Nathan said. "What is in the box?"

Annabel opened the box and picked up a piece of paper, "We heard of you restoring the Blackbourne Toma Mansion. They once donated this to us when they found it in a hidden room that is in connection to the Underground Railroad. It only seems fitting it be returned back to where it was left, included are papers authenticating the items and who donated them. Thank you for what you are doing. Museum of Historical Events." She placed the paper down and removed a box wrapped in bubble wrap and a package wrapped carefully. "What in the world?" She asked as she sat down.

"What the hell did we donate?" Gabe asked, "I don't remember donating anything."

"Hush," Owen said, "I want to see her reaction."

She opened the package and gasped. "Holy shit, I need gloves," She rushed upstairs then came back with gloves on. She smiled fondly as she looked down at the fabric, "This is simply amazing," She whispered, "what a find!" she whispered as she carefully lifted the well worn white nightgown that clearly belonged to a child. "Those guys were so lucky to such an important piece of history." She carefully set it down, "I have just the thing for this," she smiled as she rushed up to her room and then came back with a clear dress cover bag and hanger. She ever so carefully placed the nightgown on the hanger then in the dress cover then hung it on a cabinet knob for the moment.

"Now what is in the bubble wrap?" She asked as she started to undo it carefully. "I see glass," She said as she continued to undo the protection wrap. "Holy moly," she gasped as she sat back down. There in the glass box was a pair of black well-worn shoes with holes in them. She turned the box around so she could look at the shoes again, "These are women's shoes," She whispered as she continued to turn the box and look at the shoes from every side. "I wonder if these were a mother and child on the run to freedom," she whispered as she reached for the box and pulled out another piece of paper. "This is to authenticate the findings of a child's night gown and a woman's pair of shoes in a hidden room of a plantation home. They were found by the Blackbourne Toma group and are evidence of the hidden room being a part of the Underground Railroad." She sat the papers down and wiped a tear from her face. "I can only hope they got the freedom they deserved and hope those men knew what an important find this is. I'd like to think they did since they did what they did in the 70's." She wiped another tear and cleared her throat, "These are definitely going to be returned to their proper place and be displayed proudly." She opened the pantry then opened the back wall to reveal the hidden room. She looked around the tiny room and then headed up to the attic.

"Where is it?" She asked as she walked around looking for a specific item.

"What is she looking for?" Marc asked but they shook their heads.

"Here it is," She smiled, "I knew I saw it. I know it's a side table but it will work perfectly." She carefully carried it back down the kitchen then cleaned it off and placed it carefully in the hidden room. She very carefully placed the box with the shoes in it on the table then grabbed the nightgown and hung it after she hammered a nail into the wall. She then found a frame and hung the authentication papers up so everyone could see. "Perfect," She smiled then yawned. "Time to clean up, shower then bed," She murmured as she closed the hidden room then pantry.

She cleaned up the kitchen then headed up to the third floor. She took a quick shower then frowned when her brush was on her bed beside the remote. "I could have sworn I left the brush and remote on the nightstand," She said as she finished pulled her shirt down then started towel drying her hair.

"Gabe," Victor warned.

"What?" Gabe asked, "It fell on the floor when she tossed it down this morning, she wouldn't have found it behind the nightstand."

"Stop," Axel said as they watched her toss and turn in bed. She sat up and turned on some calming music and laid back down with her eyes closed.

"Just maybe," Victor spoke softly as he concentrated on the TV. Once the song ended one of his songs came on and Victor smiled. They watched as she calmed down and finally drifted off to sleep.