Chapter 45

"What the?" Jessica gasped.

"Let's find out," Annabel whispered and went back to digging.

"Please don't," North shook his head. "You aren't ready."

"North, I appreciate your concern," Annabel huffed, "But we are doing this. If it means solving your murders it will be worth whatever the hell is in whatever in the fuck this is."

"Just promise us you won't do anything irrational," Kota pleaded.

"And what exactly is your definition of irrational, Kota?" Annabel asked as she dropped the shovel and looked down at plastic wrapping.

"Oh shit," Jessica gasped. "Oh shit."

"I need to call Ebony," Annabel whispered. "She will know what to do. We can't touch this, I don't have my gloves."

"Should I call that officer?" Jessica asked, "The brother?"

"Yeah," Annabel nodded, "He will know the right procedure and probably give us tips on what to say for how we found it." She grabbed her phone, "Hey Ebony, I need you immediately, I um...found something and don't have gloves."

"Found something?" Ebony's voice came through, "Found something how?"

"The guys led me to it?" She asked making Ebony chuckle.

"Oh Child, you forget who I talk to?" Ebony asked, "Glad those boys helpin you and Sis, they better. I'm on my way, send me the spot."

"We are going to notify the retired officer as well just so you know," Annabel said staring down at the plastic. "The one that notified Erica."

"The one hiding from his family," Ebony stated, "I know him. I trust him."

"Oh thank god," Annabel sighed in relief. "See you soon. Hey Ebony?"

"You are more than welcome Child," Ebony chuckled, "I told you this is just as much for you as it is for me and my family."

Annabel hung up the phone and turned to look at Jessica who was hanging up her phone. "He's on his way. He said he will think of an excuse for us."

"Well, this definitely wasn't what I was expecting for today's little adventure," Annabel said as she got out of the hole and sat beside Jessica. "You okay?"

"Yes, no," Jessica shook her head, "Hell I don't know."

"Yeah, I get that," Annabel nodded. "This is definitely crazy."

"The guys?" Jessica asked running her fingers through her hair.

"North doesn't want us to do this, he says we aren't ready," Annabel admitted. "Kota asked that we don't do anything irrational."

"Like what?" Jessica asked and Annabel shrugged. Jessica sighed, "I really don't know how to feel about this," She motioned to the hole, "Most of my life has been about making them proud and also trying to get them justice is this corrupt town and now since you have arrived so much progress has been made. The logically part of me is reminding me that it's been decades nothing could come from this but the hopefully part of me is saying we can finally get them justice. But another part is so damn pissed off that Mama isn't here to see this. I'm just so torn right now."

"And you should be," Annabel nodded, "I would honestly be worried if you didn't feel that way. Your life is changing so fast it's a whirlwind. Let's just see what Ebony has to say and then go home and veg on ice cream and movies. I dare North to say otherwise."

Jessica burst into laughter and hugged her, "Thank you Annabel." Coldness surrounded both girls and Jess sniffled, "I love you Guys so much."

"Hello Ladies," The girls turned to see Retired Officer Andrew Dixon coming their way. They stood and shook his hand. "What have you found?"

"If you give me some time, I can tell you Andy," the girls turned to see Ebony coming over with some bags in her hands. Jessica glanced over at Annabel who was forcing back a smirk.

"Miss Laveau," Andrew said after clearing his throat. "How can I help you?"

"Just let me do my thing," She said matter of factly and he nodded then took a few steps back. She smirked then walked over to where the girls were. "Show me."

"Something I should know?" Annabel barely whispered as she pointed down to the hole.

"Oh just wait," Ebony chuckled then cleared her throat, "Oh Officer Dixon, my brother Jeremiah will be here soon to assist me."

Annabel and Jessica forced themselves to have a blank look when Andrew rubbed his neck and looked away. "Very well Miss Laveau."

"You called Sis," A deep voice called out as a tall dark skinned man approached the group with salt and pepper hair. "What are we doing HERE, Eb? Oh hello Andrew."

"Jeremiah," Andrew said hoarsely then shook his hand.

"The girls found something, Jer," Ebony called out from where she was kneeling. "The boys helped them. Now get down here and help me."

"They did?" Jeremiah asked shocked as he turned to the girls. "Miss Lee?" Jessica nodded and wiped a tear. "It's my pleasure Miss Lee. They helped me more than once."

"Thank you for doing this," Jessica sniffled. "I appreciate it."

He nodded then slid on some gloves and helped Ebony pull the plastic wrapping out of the ground. "Get the tarp, Andy," Ebony called out and Andrew quickly laid out a tarp. "So what's the plan?" Annabel asked. "You know for the report?"

"Miss Lee went to go plant flowers in remembrance of her family and everyone else lost to this tree. She found a stray dog digging here and when she approached the dog took off and she decided to dig to find out what it was searching for and came upon this," Andrew shrugged.

"Sounds good to me," Jessica nodded. She sniffled when she felt Kota put his hands on her shoulders.

"Are you sure you are ready for this?" Luke asked Annabel, she barely nodded and he placed his hand in hers then gently squeezed.

Annabel gasped when Ebony removed the plastic wrapping to reveal a box. Ebony took a deep breath and opened the box and shook her head. "What is it Ebony?" Annabel asked.

Ebony turned the box around and Jessica inhaled sharply then turned into Annabel's chest. There inside the box were three whips that looked like they still had blood on them. There were also multiple knives and gloves in the box along with something else.

"Ebony is that?" Annabel gasped as Ebony pulled it the white fabric that had holes in it.

"Yes Child," Ebony growled as did Jeremiah and Andrew gasped. "It's the hood of a KKK member."