Chapter 30

"Why can't we enter her dreams?" Luke asked as he watched her sleep.

"Because the medication she took has put her into such a deep sleep that she isn't even dreaming," Sean tried to explain. "Seeing all that then taking the pills really drained her. She is beyond exhaustion. I worry how she will be when she wakes up."

"I told you she didn't need to see all that," North growled. "Now look at her."

"But she said herself that she needs to see it," Owen said watching her. "She knew that it would be traumatic, but she needed to see all that. She is already mad that we hid the newspaper articles. Do you really want her to be madder at us?"

"Fine," North sighed as he knelt closer to her. "But I don't like it."

"We know," Kota said. "None of us like it. None of us wanted her to look at those but she was adamant and now all we can do is just be there for her as she tries to cope with all this information now."

"What did she take?" Nathan asked. "Why does she even have prescription pills? I haven't seen her take these before. What are they Doc?"

Sean walked over and looked at the prescription bottle. "They are pain pills. They were prescribed six months before she moved to the house. The bottle is about halfway full from what I can tell. It doesn't look like she takes them very often. It just says they are for pain as needed so I can't tell you for sure what she got them prescribed for. She has been here for almost a year and she hasn't taken them before so I wouldn't worry about it."

"She's starting to stir," Silas said as he leaned forward and concentrated on her some more. "I wonder."

"What?" Marc asked curiously, "Do you think we can enter her dreams now and make sure she is okay?"

"I don't know," Silas said as he kept watching her as she shifted and buried under the blanket even more than she already was. Silas reached out and pushed her hair out of her face. She shivered under his touch and pouted making them smile.

A haze started to fill the room and they looked around to find them in a field at night. They looked around and found her laying on the ground looking up at the sky.

"Darling," Owen said as he slowly walked up to her.

She sat up and looked at them shocked, "What are you doing here?"

"We wanted to make sure you are okay," Silas said as he sat down beside her. "I'm sorry you had to see those things, I wish you hadn't."

"I don't want to talk about that," She shook her head as she laid back down and went back to looking at the stars. "I'm fine, you can go back to being invisible and silent."

"Ouch," Luke pouted as he sat down on the other side of her.

"Well, I'm not the one that disappeared for weeks with no sign of being around," She huffed.

"Touché" Luke nodded, "Sorry about that."

"Why did you disappear?" She whispered, "I got so use to the small drafts or slight touches and then nothing. Absolutely nothing. You seriously had me questioning my sanity. If it wasn't for Jess I would seriously think I lost my fucking mind."

"Sorry Darling," Owen shook his head. "We were just trying to store our energy in case we needed to protect you. We were just trying to make sure we had enough power to protect the two of you if we needed to."

"I guess that makes sense," She huffed, "but I still don't like it."

"We are sorry," The rest of them said as they sat around her. "We won't do that again."

"Promise?" She asked and they smiled softly.

"We promise," they said in unison.

Annabel woke up and looked around. Sighing when she realized where she was she laid back down and took a deep breath then slowly let it out shakingly. She turned on the lamp on the nightstand then looked down at the family picture of the men that was facing her. She picked it up then sat it back down. She clutched the pillow to her chest then burst into tears.

"Hey are you okay?" Jessica asked as she knocked on the door.

Annabel wiped her face and took a few deep breaths, "Yeah, I'm fine," She called out. "Just super bad headache, that's all. Give me a bit and I'll be down."

"Damn, take your time," Jessica said, "I'll head to the store and get you some meds."

"Thanks," Annabel said as wiped some tears off her face. She took some more deep breaths then flung her covers back and headed to take a shower. Once she was done, she stared at herself in the mirror, "It's a new day, focus on the projects you have to do today, Annabel."