Chapter 42. Reunited

Warning: Death, talks of terminal illness

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kei told us about my mom; after being forced to leave me at the age of two, she roamed in the streets trying to find a job and find a way to get me back. She had discovered her husband the father of her daughter was in dangerous work relating matters; the Yakuza. 

I was ripped from her arms and her life was threatened all so quickly. Many times she came back to take me with her only to have her husband push her away. He had been filled with lies by his father who claimed she was being unfaithful and had intentions of running with her lover and her daughter.

But the thing is... it was all lies. LIES.

Eventually she had stopped going back to get her only daughter, she didn't give up but she knew she had to find a better way to get her back. And so she started working in diners, bars, restaurants, and occasionally sing in the streets. 

She eventually had money to eat and rent a place to stay. It was after five years that she had run into Yuki –Kei's wife. They became friends and Yuki being an actress helped [Mom's name] in the singing industry. Slowly she had started to reach a good spot in showbiz, but not enough to be recognized by people all over the nation, nor have enough power to go against her husband.

Each day was filled with sadness for her. There wasn't a day where she didn't remember her daughter who she wished to save yet couldn't. 

To make matters worse, one day she had been diagnosed with a terminal illness that would slowly eat away at her life. She was devasted. Not only for her own life but rather because she knew that as long as her daughter was in the clutches of her husband's hands, her daughter would suffer and live a life she didn't wish her daughter to live.

~~

Touya and I continued to hear Kei tell us more about my mom and the more he spoke the more upset I became. This wasn't how I imagined things to turn out...

"And so the years passed by. I met Yuki three years ago and we recently got married five months ago. I met your mom around the time I met Yuki and she told us about a daughter she had. Yuki and I planned to help but it was difficult considering [mom's name] didn't want to tell us who your dad's name was because she deemed it dangerous for us." Kei explained solemnly, "The only clues we had were pictures she kept of you as a baby."

Touya kept rubbing circles on my back as I silently cried.

"It's because she knows that she has little time left is that she recently tried getting out of the hospital claiming that her husband was no longer a threat and she wanted to get her daughter back but... she collapsed when she was trying to stand. Yuki and I didn't understand her reasons for keeping quiet, but since it's (Y/N), you're her daughter it makes sense now."

"So she doesn't know that her daughter 'died'?" Touya asked concerned and hesitant.

"No she doesn't know. Thankfully otherwise her heart would've failed by now." Kei responded.

The car stopped and Touya helped me out. He held me close to him. Whispering things such as 'we're almost there' 'hang on' 'I'm here with you' which really made things better.

Kei quickly led us through the hospital hallways. My heels click-clacking and echoing as I grew nervous to see her. So many thoughts came to mind –some good some not so well.

"This is her room." Kei said with a heartwarming tone.

"Ready?" Touya whispered to me sweetly.