16. AFRAID TO LET GO

As soon as Ro-un's car rolls to a stop in front of Taehyung's house, Jimin's fingers curl around the door handle. He almost pops it open when the man's voice stops him.

"I still don't know your name," he says, placing his car in break.

Jimin sighs, hoping it's quiet enough that Ro-un didn't hear. His hand falls from the handle and he turns around, looking the handsome man in his eyes. "Don't you think that would give you some kind of hint? I already told you I'm not interested and I never will be. It doesn't matter how nice you try to be," he replies bluntly.

Ro-un nods his head and Jimin can feel that it's slightly bitter. The man pulls something out of his pocket and the blond gives him an appalled look when he spots a business card between his fingers. "Just take it. I give it to you knowing that it's probably going to end up in the garbage as soon as you walk into the house."

Jimin dislikes this man's persistence but it's somewhat admirable as much as it is annoying. He takes the card just to humour him and shoves it inside of his pocket. He doesn't say anything more and he climbs out of the car, closing the door behind him.

Before crossing the street, Jimin looks both ways. He notices that Hoseok's truck and Taehyung's car are gone. Where the former could possibly be, he has no idea. He's been pretty distant ever since their little quarrel. Him and Taehyung could be together for all he knows. The latter could use another distraction.

When Jimin opens the door and closes it behind him, he feels an immediate wave of relief inundate his exhausted body. Running from Ryung really did a number on him - he hasn't run that fast since high school, it feels like.

He places his keys on a little hook hanging next to the door. He takes his shoes off and pushes them to the side with his feet, heading up the entryway stairs. His hands drag down his face heavily, just as his body feels.

As Jimin makes it into the kitchen, feeling the familiar change of floor beneath his feet, he drops his hands to his sides. His heart just about quits on the spot at the sight of Jeongguk leaning against one of the counters with his arms crossed.

First of all. What the fuck? And second of all. What the fuck.

Jimin opens his mouth to speak but no words come out because he has absolutely no idea what to say or ask first. Jeongguk looks up at him and he stills, searching the man's face for any discernible emotion.

"Taehyung let me in before he took off. Namjoon Hyung knew where you guys lived because of him," Jeongguk explains and although Jimin understands, he doesn't respond.

If Taehyung ended up somehow exposing where he lived, Jimin wouldn't at all be surprised. And he can only assume it's because he's Jeongguk's biggest fan boy, even though he'd probably never admit to it.

Jeongguk stares at the kitchen floor, rolling his tongue into the inside of his cheek. A telltale sign of jealousy and frustration. "He was lying, wasn't he?"

Jimin nods his head, feeling guilty. "I was walking home. He followed me and when you called, he grabbed my phone out of my hand. I... I would never..." he trails off, voice soft and vulnerable.

He doesn't even realize Jeongguk is in front of him until his head is tilted upward by gentle fingers. The latter tilts Jimin's face left to right by the benign grip on his chin. "He didn't hurt you, did he?"

"No, he didn't," Jimin answers, suddenly feeling very, very small with Jeongguk standing as close as he is.

It's strange. There is no sexual tension and the air is breathable. Jimin feels something else in his gut when he looks into Jeongguk's eyes and maybe it's everything he's been trying to suppress. A single thumb brushes his cheek bone and it almost makes him feel sleepy. Like a spell is casted over him and he succumbs to it's influence ever so softly and slowly.