Thirty-Three

Running away was the best decision Apollo had made

Running away was the best decision Apollo had made. Cedric had been quick to reply to his letter at the beginning of summer, and Apollo had been staying with him and his family ever since. Now the next school year was coming up. First, however, there was the Quidditch World Cup, and Amos Diggory was insistent on taking his two boys.

It was early that they had to leave. It was no problem for Apollo, who's insomnia was not keen on letting him sleep very long (although he had to admit, ever since he had not had to worry about his father, he had been getting much better.) Cedric was a little more tired, but it did not take long for him to wake up. Especially with Apollo hitting him with a pillow when he would not get up immediately.

"Alright, I'm up, I'm up!" Cedric said, sitting up with a tired groan. Apollo smirked at him, throwing him a t-shirt. "I knew you were excited for this, but I didn't realize you were this excited," Cedric muttered, throwing the shirt on and slipping out of bed, Apollo sitting at the end of it. "It's two in the morning."

Apollo shrugged. "Quidditch is fun," he said simply.

Cedric raised an eyebrow. "Right, yes, and it has nothing to do with a certain player," he said sarcastically.

Apollo's ears went pink. He had came out as gay to Cedric in July, at three am while he was high out of his mind. They had gone out for a walk and sat at the edge of a bridge and they just talked when it slipped out. Cedric was, of course, very accepting, saying he was into people regardless of their gender himself.

"He's just an added bonus," Apollo said in defence. Cedric snorted in amusement, leaving the room to go to the washroom.

"Boys! Are you ready to go?" Amos called from the kitchen. Apollo made his way downstairs, giving the man a nod in greeting. Cedric joined them soon after, dressed in casual clothing - the same t-shirt Apollo had thrown at him, but he had changed into jeans. Apollo was in a similar apparel, wearing basically the same thing but with his hoodie over it.

"Eat up," Amos Diggory insisted, gesturing towards the table. "We leave in a few minutes!"

"The sun isn't even out yet, dad," Cedric pointed out.

"Exactly! We have to get going soon!" Amos said cheerfully. "It'll be quicker when you two can Apparate."

Once everyone has ate and was ready to go, the three left. They had to find a portkey if they were to get to their location. The managed to find the portkey, an old shoe, on the top of a hill. Amos picked it up.

"Over here, Arthur!" called Amos, spotting a group some ways away. Some of them Apollo was sad to realize he recognized.

"Amos!" said the oldest man, ginger like half the others. Arthur Weasley. He strolled up to them, the rest of his group following behind. The two men shook hands. "This is Amos Diggory, everyone," Arthur said to his group. "Works for the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures. And I think you know his son, Cedric?"

"Hi," Cedric greeted, looking around at the faces he mostly recognized but never really talked to. The kids, save for Fred and George, said hi back. The twins were still mad about their Quidditch loss early last year. Apollo found that amusing.

"And, uh, I don't believe I know you," Arthur said awkwardly, looking at Apollo, who upon seeing the group, had gone back to his resting face - which did not look to friendly.

Amos pat Apollo's shoulder. "This is Apollo Payne, Cedric best friend." The most Apollo offered in greeting was a slight nod of acknowledgement, prompted by Cedric nudging him in the side. He received verbal greetings back. "Long walk, Arthur?" Amos asked.

"Not to bad," Arthur Weasley responded. "We live just on the other side of that village there. You?"

"Had to get up at two, didn't we, boys? I tell you, I'll be glad when they get their Apparition test. Still, not complaining, Quidditch World Cup, wouldn't miss it for a sackful of Galleons - and the tickets cost about that. Mind you, looks like I got off easy." He peered at the group of kids. "All these yours, Arthur?"

"Oh, no, only the redheads," Mr Weasley responded. "This is Hermione, friend of Ron's, and Harry, another friend-"

"Merlin's beard. Harry? Harry Potter?"

Apollo resisted the urge to roll his eyes. "Er, yeah," Potter responded.

"Ced's talked about you, of course," Amos said. "Told us all about playing against you last year... I said to him, I said - Ced, that's be something to tell your grandchildren, that will... you beat Harry Potter!"

Fred and George were scowling once again, which Apollo found amusing. It almost made up for the secondhand embarrassment he felt while standing beside his friend.

"Harry fell off his broom, dad," Cedric muttered. "I told you, it was an accident."

"Yes, but you didn't fall off your broom, did you? Always modest, our Ced, always the gentleman... but the best man won, I'm sure Harry'd say the same, wouldn't you, eh? One falls off his broom, one stays on, you don't need to be a genius to tell who's the better flyer!"

"All is fair in war," Apollo added helpfully.

"Isn't the saying love and war?" George asked, taking his glare off Cedric to look at Apollo confused.

Apollo just smirked.

Arthur took out his watch. "Must be nearly time. Do you know whether we're waiting for any more, Amos?"

"No, the Lovegood's have been there for a week already," Amos said. At the last name, Apollo looked over. "And the Fawcetts couldn't get tickets. There aren't any more of us in the area, are there?"

"Not that I know of. Yes, it's a minute off, we better get ready." To Granger and Potter, he said, "You just need to touch the portkey, that's all, a finger will do." All ten of them had a finger on the shoe, in a circle that for Apollo was much too close for comfort. Arthur Weasley counted down from three, and by the time he got to one, they were off.

Apollo landed on his feet gracefully at the new location. Cedric, Amos and Arthur did as well, but the rest of the children were not so lucky. It was a little amusing, if Apollo was being honest. He reached up a hand, patting down the stray hairs.

"Seven past five from Stoatshead Hill," said a wizard. He, as well as his companion, were dressed as muggles, though doing a poor job of blending in.

Apollo extended a hand to- yeah, no, he did not do that. One summer with Cedric did not change him at all. All that he gained was confidence. Cedric threw an arm over Apollo's shoulder, and Apollo leaned into him, watching everyone scramble to get to their feet.

"Morning, Basil," said Mr Weasley.

Basil wore a kilt and a poncho. He took the portkey and threw it into a box. "Hello there, Arthur," he greeted. "Not on duty, eh? It's all right for some... we've been here all night... you'd better get out of the way, we've got a big party coming in from the Black Forest at five fifteen. Hang on, I'll find your campsite. Weasley... Weasley..." He consulted his list. "About a quarter miles walk over there, first field you come to. Site manager's called Mr Roberts. Diggory, second field, ask for Mr Palmer."

"Thanks, Basil," Arthur said. The group went away, Apollo, Cedric and Amos eventually splitting off to get to their spot without much hassle.

Upon meeting the Muggle, having only a bit of trouble with the money exchange, they were able to go set up. In a few hours, the game would begin. Until then, they would have to find a way to busy themselves.