One

The train ride was only the first odd thing that happened to Apollo Payne that day

The train ride was only the first odd thing that happened to Apollo Payne that day. At first, it was like every other year so far. He hopped aboard the Hogwarts Express, and found an empty spot to sit. He had a book on his lap, reading away as if his life depended on it. He sat alone, except for a man asleep in the corner. He had just shrugged it off. A new teacher, as you could see from the name on his case. They seemed to get a new one every year. A curse, people whispered.

Apollo wasn't sure he believed that nonsense, but regardless, he ignored everything that was happening around him. A group of third years entered the cabin as well, but he still payed them no mind. He recognized them as what he's heard people call 'the Golden Trio'. Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, and Ron Weasley.

Of course he's heard of them. He wasn't stupid. A lot of things changed at Hogwarts when Harry Potter arrived. No one could stop talking about him. Especially one Cho Chang in his house. It's like she was crushing on him or something.

He heard that this Potter kid had defeated a troll, and Quirrell who was a host body for You-Know-Who. All in first year. He even made the Quidditch team! Apollo wished he would've been able to make it on the team in first year. Hadn't been done in a century. He was maybe a little salty, but just against Gryffindor in general. They had knocked Ravenclaw down to third place for the House Cup. All thanks to Dumbledore, who gave them points for nothing. Being brave? That was one of their house traits. Playing chess? Being a good friend? Even being wise, which was a Ravenclaw trait they were known for. To say he was unhappy with this was an understatement. At least Ravenclaw won the Quidditch Cup, though.

The second year of Harry Potter being at Hogwarts was a great year, at the start. Filch's cat, Mrs Norris, was found hanging in front of the first floor girls washroom. Filch wouldn't go anywhere but there. That made it easy for Apollo to sneak out. Of course, there was the mysterious threat of a Chamber of Secrets and a Slytherin heir, which, Apollo had to admit, struck him as a little bit creepy. Then students started getting attacked, mostly just muggle-borns. Until Ginny Weasley was taken. Luckily she was saved, and their annoying Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, Gilderoy Lockhart, left.

Apollo really hoped this year would be normal. It might be too much to ask at this point, but he really just wanted to study in peace. Of course, he never got what he wished for. Already a prisoner escaped from Azkaban, so his hopes weren't up too high.

The train. Four students, one new professor. Somehow it was bound to go wrong. It started off completely normal, for wizard standards. Apollo was reading, as he always did. This time it was a muggle book about norse mythology.

The other three students were talking to each other in hushed whispers, occasionally glancing at the Ravenclaw to make sure he wasn't listening. He wasn't. He couldn't care less about what they had to say, really. Even with escaped prisoner of Azkaban, Sirius Black, out on the run, Apollo couldn't bring himself to be worried.