Chancellor Thorn

Ellie Richards

The morning sun was rising and even though there was anxiety lingering in my chest, generally I felt well settled and rested. My evening with my ex-mate's father was something that surprised me. I was expecting him to be forceful, to be annoyed at my actions however he was the opposite. He was still the kind man I remembered from my teenage years. He showed me nothing but respect that was easily returned. Other than the physical traits, I couldn't see the relation between Henry and Thomas. They both seemed worlds apart in their mannerisms. 

I couldn't help but find myself being extremely honest with Henry. I didn't want to be accused of manipulating him or being untruth. If I was honest, I didn't see the point of lying. It only caused misunderstandings which would enviably lead to emotional distress. Of course, I had told the occasional white lie, but I avoided them. I never lied to my grandparents, I had omitted the truth. 

Today was the day when the Council would attend the Lotus Pack, they would be here very soon. I understood that they had power that intimidated others but I wouldn't wither and shy away. Even though I was a lone wolf, I knew how to stand my ground. My job caused me to place myself in some dangerous situations, ones that were challenging but allowed me to develop a back bone. 

Uncle James tried to encourage me to come down for breakfast with the pack but I wasn't quite ready to mingle with people, knowing that there would be a lot of rumours floating about. Clare had brought me up some food while I was in my room and encouraged me to eat, explaining that I needed the strength to deal with council. She tried to joke around, telling me they were a bunch of old men that lacked people skills but all I could do was shrug her off, knowing that I wasn't in the mood to interact. 

I had already showered and got dressed in a black pencil skirt and silk emerald blouse that I paired with some ballerina flat shoes. I didn't want to be overdressed, but the occasion required me to be in professional attire. I was brushing my hair back into a tight high ponytail when there was a knock on the door. 

"Come in." I shouted. 

The door squeaked open and in popped Uncle Jame's head. He looked at the bed and then saw me standing by the mirror as I pulled the band in my hair with a pop. "Hey Ellie Belly." He sighed. "There here."

"How many of them are there?" I questioned as I turned my head in his direction.

"Three. Elder Barren and Elder Herring who you already met." His jaw clenched and I could he was unsettled by the third guest. "Elder Thorne is also here. He is also known as the Chancellor. He is head of the Council. So I would refer to him as Chancellor Thorn, he is not one to be messed with." He explained as he slipped in my room and closed the door. 

"You seem unsettled by Chancellor Thorn. Why?" I questioned. 

Once again my uncle's jaw ticked. I could see him gritted his teeth. "Chancellor Thorn was the Alpha at Grandmother's old pack. He became an Elder shortly after his retirement. Your grandmother and him have history. He is very close to the maternal side of our family. Unfortunately his opinion may be biased. We don't have time to get into the details, that is a story for Ma to tell you." He explains. 

I give him a clipped nod of the head. I take a deep breath and sigh loudly. "I'm ready, let's go."

My uncle makes his way to my door and I follow his steps out of my room and to the main pack hall. I know from what James had said that the whole pack would be in attendance. It was a public matter because I was a rejected Luna. It was something that was frowned upon from what he said and according to James to be reject a pack's true and rightful Luna was a crime. I knew James did not want to worry me but his anxiety was rolling off him in waves. I could see that the attendance of the Chancellor was unsettling.