Chapter 2: But why are the donuts gone

Author note

Alright chapter 2! Let's get into it!
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

But why are the donuts gone?

A single dull throb echoed through my mind. A moment later it passed again, more prominent. And again. Annoying… Slowly, my eyes flickered open. For a second or two everything was hazy, the plastered white roof tricked me into seeing an eternity of colourless landscape. But as my brain slowly began to correct my lagging vision, the walls and objects in my room started to become clearer to me.

Why was I laying on the floor? The greying carpet felt unfathomably soft underneath me, I brushed my hands against it, savouring the feeling. If it weren't for the irritable throb in my temple, I might have laid there forever. A single moment of clarity pierced my dizzy façade.

Something's wrong.

But as my vision began to waver yet again, the thought was quickly lost. I shifted slightly, I had to get ready for school… My plain wooden door creaked shut as I moved. I examined it for a split second before attempting to right myself. As I sat up, the relentless throb became increasingly louder, almost as if it were manifesting into a physical noise. Ignoring it, I pulled myself to my feet. Immediately falling back down.

What the hell was going on? Readying myself once more, I pulled myself up, swayed slightly, but never the less held my ground. School… Laptop. It was of course the first thing that popped into my mind every time I considered leaving the house. Without a laptop, I was helpless. It was my connection to the world, to my friends if I needed them. Almost effortlessly, I managed to slide my sleek, high performance laptop into its case and hang it over my shoulder with a practised grace.

I stood for a minute or two. I needed something else… What was it? Uniform. That was it. With a little bit of struggle, I finally got the navy blue blazer on and made for the door. For some reason I looked upon the house in a new light now, as if it weren't just the same old boring set of rooms. It was split into two stories, a winding staircase linking the two. All of the walls were washed white and carpet lined almost every floor, except for those that were filled in with wood instead. It was an open plan house, fairly modern and quite pleasing to the eye. As I studied my surroundings I recalled the reason why I preferred it in here rather than out there.

My legs seemed to remember how to walk properly by the time I had reached the front door and I pushed it open without a second thought. The cold morning air nipped at my face as I stepped outside, I shivered slightly. Well at least it wasn't snowing… Yet. As the season of summer was on its way out, fall seemed to become a foreign word, as winter quickly stole its position. The trees that overlooked the narrow street had already begun to shed their weary leaves and the grass had already started to crisp considerably.

Turning, I grasped the brass door handle and started to pull it closed. A flash of purple dashed across the small gap that still connected the interior to the outside world. I stopped… Purple? My eyes unfocused momentarily and the unanswered question excused itself from my mind. I shut the door, locking it, and crossed the small section of grass between the house and the well-worn street. It would certainly be an interesting day.

Everybody was staring at me.

Usually I would just blend in with the crowd and avoid drawing attention to myself. And yet today the other students seemed fascinated. I felt uneasy… They muttered things behind my back, phrases that were unrecognisable to me for some reason.

A teacher stood before me, blocking my path. She was a short woman, shorter than me anyway, and her hair was noticeably greyed from the stress of her job. She spoke something, although I was not sure exactly what it was she was saying. She took a sudden step towards me, and out of reflex I took one backwards. A sudden dizzy hit caused me to fall to the hard concrete floor below me.