Chapter 21: Were you worried?

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

.
.

.
.

.
.

.
.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Were you worried?

It was warm.

Which was unusual, considering the time of year. I felt a type of emptiness within me. Not a longing emptiness or an emptiness that ought to be filled... Just a kind of, peaceful, emptiness.

A series of disjointed memories came rushing into my head like a tropical storm, quick and unforgiving. I jolted and snapped my eyes open.

A small laugh escaped from behind me. "Calm down."

I tried to turn my head, but a stab of pain suggested it was a bad idea. I groaned as my muscles began to throb and twist, as if my injuries were only just being inflicted. "W- What happened?" My voice was a little cracked and came out in a rasp

The mystery speaker spoke once more. "If you've forgotten me, I'll kill you."

The phrase sounded familiar... But for the life of me, I couldn't place it. I looked around the almost too white room. It took me a few seconds to realise it was all sideways, with the floor being on my right and the roof on my left. The slightly comfortable mat beneath me seemed an awful long way from the ground, but maybe it was just because I didn't want to fall.

I tried to avoid asking who she was, and instead went with something safer. "Where are we?"

"They said it was a hospital, I think. We didn't really have much choice..."

The hospital... Why were w- It was as if my brain simply snapped together. Like two pieces of Lego forming that satisfying click. We were being chased, we crashed... "Amber..." I spoke slowly, finally realising who lay behind me.

A moment passed before I felt her shift a little closer, nuzzling her head against the back of my neck. I noticed now that the comforting warmth which surrounded me, radiated from her. I let myself relax slightly, putting the torrential downfall of thoughts on hold for the moment. The familiar tug of her healing padded at my wounds, nulling the pain ever so faintly.

"Idiot." She mumbled.

It was only a few moments later that the sideways door was pushed inwards. A tired looking man strode through it, a white doctors coat hanging from his shoulders which displayed the occasional speck of blood. He gave me an amused, yet exhausted, glance. "How're you feeling?"

Caught a little off guard, my response was unarguably inappropriate, considering where we were. "Dead."

But he smirked slightly, which seemed to excuse the slip up. "Well, by all means you should be. As soon as they wheeled you in here I thought you were a goner."

I swallowed. "Thanks, for treating me then."

"I only stopped the bleeding and sanitized the wound." He said with a laugh before nodding at the girl behind me. "That's all she would let me do."

I tried to glance back at her, but she only pulled closer, hiding from both our gazes.

The doctor continued. "I don't believe in miracles... But I can't honestly say that I know how you're still breathing." When I offered no explanation, he spoke once more before turning to leave the room. "The police will want to talk to you as soon as possible, and there's a very agitated principal pacing in the lobby."