Chapter 8: Cookies and cream

I'm gonna sleep after i copy and paste it so let's get into it!
.
.
.

.
.

.
.
.
.
.
.

.
.
.

.
.

.
.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Cookies and cream.

We had been walking around the mall for the past few hours. When I had suggested it, I had no idea how exhausting it would be. Key's energy levels were far beyond those of a normal teenage girl. She rushed excitedly between stores, starring through their windows in awe of what was inside. The items ranged from clothes, to candles, to games and even to stationary. It didn't matter what it was, everything was new to her. And she was curious about it all.

With her long strides it was difficult for me to keep up. Although we had to stop more than once for her to rest. Endurance was one of the few things that she did not retain. I suppose if I had the power to disappear and appear anywhere at will, I wouldn't be too used to walking around frantically either. We had already had the conversation about teleporting in public. She was sceptical at first, but reluctantly agreed when I explained that she would probably be kidnapped by the government if she did. She really was a strange creature.

Still... I could feel the stares. Most of them were dazed or awed, but a select few were... Something darker. It was dangerous, being exposed like this. But I reasoned that the hybrid Endermen wouldn't attack in plain sight of normal people. I didn't know for sure, but it was a theory that had to be tested.

Although, I thought as another group of boys passed us, starring at my companion. Were the hybrids our only worry?

"Raven?" I snapped back to reality and looked across the table we had decided to rest at. It was positioned in front of a small café, out in the open air with only a faint breeze to disturb us. Key was studying me, a worried look on her face. "You had a scary expression."

I smiled and laughed a little nervously. "Sorry, I was just thinking about something." Her head titled to the side in question, a few strands of purple hair falling across her eyes. Giving a reassuring smile I took a sip of the coffee I had ordered. "Don't worry about it."

She nodded. "Do you think... M- Maybe, I could... Order another donut?" The last few words dropped into a hushed mumble.

"Do you know how many you've had today?" I smirked. We both knew the answer. It was at least ten. "If you don't watch how many you eat, you'll gain weight."

The Endergirl shook her head. "Hybrids don't gain weight."

She said it as if it were blatantly obvious. "Why not?" I asked, peering over my cup.

"We're designed to be perfect. We don't age, we don't grow, and if we're injured we heal in a matter of days."

I glared at her. It explained so much. I suppose if you're trying to make a new creature you give them the best of everything. It also explained why every hybrid that I had seen so far was so god damn attractive.

I sighed, finally deciding that I was too tired to go on. "We should start heading back soon. David's probably bored mad without us."

Key blushed a little at his name, the memory of falling asleep on him rising back into her mind. I grinned, who knew that David was capable of such a feat? And with such a cute girl too...

Knowing him, he probably didn't even mean for it to happen. Mm, it was definitely a fluke. I poured the last dregs of coffee down my throat and stood up, Key followed suit. I might have been tired, and David might have been bored without us, but the real reason we were leaving was because... Well, I was broke. The Endergirl had somehow managed to deplete the majority of my savings in a single day.