Chapter 22: Criminals among us!

.
.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

.
.

.
.

.
.

.
.
.
.

Criminals among us!

Neither was David. Or Isaac. Or Key. Or the first year whose name escaped me. Raven was away too, but that happened on occasion. It was possible that their joint absence was coincidence, although that seemed extremely unlikely. Especially with the stories that spread like wildfire.

"They got caught up in a gang fight over drug money, for sure. I saw them." A blonde bitchy girl had confirmed at lunch.

"Those guys? Defiantly criminals. It's no wonder they had people after them." A football player had reported during design tech.

"I don't know what they're caught up in, but the way Isaac stole the principal's car was so badass!" An Isaac fangirl fangirled in first period.

I pushed up my glasses. "I thought Raven stole the car?"

"That bitch? Please, she doesn't have the balls."

But we both knew she was lying.

In a couple of hours, the six of them were practically celebrities. Both famous, and infamous. Everybody had mixed opinions, nobody knew the truth. And that's what made it so popular. Theories upon theories of what could have happened. A few crazy people said they saw Key disappear and reappear out of thin air, claiming something supernatural. Some thought they saw the entire crew wielding medieval style weapons, suggesting some secret vendetta. And others claimed the ones who chased them were demons of the evilest sort…

It all sounded like bullshit. But whatever it was, it was a brilliant story.

I rewound the report on my phone and hit play once more.

A smartly dressed news anchor sat behind an even smarter desk. She lined up her papers, and began speaking. "Yesterday, at an estimate of around one pm, a silver Porsche was seen speeding out of Saint Vincent's State School and onto public roads. In a vehicle intended for two, a total of six people were seen placed in the seats, and on the front and rear bonnets. In pursuit were several unknown figures, chasing them at what have been described as 'superhuman' speeds. Now these reports are all unconfirmed at the moment, but we've talked to several eye witnesses who agree with one another on these details. The car continued through several blocks, before veering dangerously onto the highway where it picked up speed. The crash was inevitable." It was as if the reporter finally took a breath before continuing. "We go now to Daniel Traily, who is live at the scene."

The view split to show a bundled up reporter, standing before a line of emergency vehicles. The shredded Porsche could be seen in the distance, a light patter of snow concealing it ever so slightly. "Thank you Mel. Now, what we see here are the leftover emergency services who are tending to the aftermath of the pileup. The four high school students, who we understand are in a serious condition, have already been delivered to the hospital." The camera rotated to show a small mess of cars and vans, backed into one another. "As you can see, the incident has entirely blocked the highwa-"

The video paused suddenly. Buffering… I reloaded the page. But instead of returning to where I had been, the screen ran blank, except for a few simple characters.

Error 404: Page not found.

"Interesting…" I pushed up my glasses. "Very interesting…"