Chapter 4: An unexpected axe wielder

Enjoy the chapter (:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

An unexpected axe wielder.

Key was gone.

I stared vacantly at the sofa on which I had left her, the blanket folded into a neat square. I had expected as much, I mean she couldn't just stay here forever. But I didn't think that she would vanish without a word. I sighed, my heart sinking. Something interesting had finally tumbled into my boring life, and now it was gone forever.

Eventually, I turned my eyes from the depressing scene and ventured into the kitchen, searching for breakfast. Flicking the kettle on, I readied a double shot mug of coffee and ascended the stairs back to my room. Back to my previous life. As I reached the last step I heard a small peep from down the hall, barely audible. My head twitched in its direction.

Key, to my great relief, was suspiciously eyeing the bathroom from inside the closet that stood adjacent. Carefully, so as not to frighten her, I walked down the hall, resting on the closet door frame and following her gaze. The faint patter of the leaking sink could be heard from within.

"David." She uttered, sleep that had not yet been shaken tinged her voice.

We kept staring into the bathroom. "Mmm?"

"Your house is evil."

Water. Endermen had a resistance of absolute zero against it. "Does water even effect you?"

She pursed her lips, but gave no answer.

My mind was fully recovered now, after the trauma it had sustained the day before. Logical decisions and conclusions were no longer a fleeting thought. She was an Enderman, that was for sure. But I had never seen any, aside from the ones hunting her, which appeared remotely human. There were only a few sensible situations that could lead to such a thing. "You're a hybrid aren't you? Half Enderman, half human."

She finally looked up at me, not too far up, just a few centimetres or so. "You're smarter today."

"The fact that you gave me a concussion didn't help."

The girl let off an annoyed type of humph and returned her line of sight to the bathroom. "You're meaner today too."

I sighed. "Come on." Pushing open the door, I finally exposed the ceaseless origin of the dripping. Key pulled a little bit further into the closet. I held out my hand and smiled at her, gently. "It's alright. You can do it."

She stared at my outstretched offering, and then into my eyes, studying me. At first the action was confusing, but slowly I began to realize... It must be uncommon, to be a different among your own species. You would quickly become an outcast. And seeing as how even her fellow hybrids were hunting her down, she must have been alone for a lot longer than I could ever imagine. No wonder the prospect of trust was alarm for her suspicion.

It was a moment that would define the rest of our time together. And thankfully, it didn't go to waste. With a great deal of hesitation, she eventually placed her hand within mine. Her skin was soft to the touch, and warm... The Endergirl's cheeks lit up a little at the contact and her eyes quickly darted away from mine. She really was quite shy. And that made her all the more cute.

Carefully, I lead her into the small room and we stared at the menacing object before us. Key's fingers tightened around mine with each passing drop. This was not a petty fear, fostered by scary stories or superstition. This was an instinct. To her, water posed a horribly painful death... I could only imagine what it would feel like to have water, the element responsible for extinguishing flames, burn you to a crisp. Logic told her she would be fine, but the subconsciousness is a cunning foe.