Chapter 5: W- We didn't, n- nothing happe-

Let us begin
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
W- We didn't, n- nothing happe-"

We sat around the large transparent glass dining room table. I looked at Key, worried. Key looked to Raven, terrified. Raven stared vacantly into the steaming mug of coffee that I had prepared for her. The only sound was that of the wind, howling past the windows and predicting a coming storm.

Key was shaken. It was obvious. On the outside she appeared calm and collected, but when I studied her eyes it was impossible to miss the raging battle within. She hadn't moved from my side ever since the incident and that confused me.

I hated every essence of myself as I looked back on what had happened. The only thing I was capable of doing was sacrificing myself as a human meat shield. It was pathetic. Raven, Raven was capable of much more than that it seems. The hatchets that she had used to shed blood had been discarded at the other end of the table, crimson stained on their razor sharp blades.

Each axe was identical. They were both made entirely out of cast alloy steel, strong, but light. Both extended hilts that curved at odd angles, perhaps to optimise for aero-dynamics and precision. And both were coated in a pitch black paint that forced the message of death even further into our minds. I almost missed the inscriptions that were discreetly carved into the hilts. Although I recognised the text as Native American Navajo, I could not decipher it.

Navajo?

"I killed him." Raven whispered under her breath.

"You saved us." I replied, turning to study her.

She nodded, subtly. "But I still..." Her sentence trailed off.

"Stay from the innocent." Raven's eyes locked on the Endergirl as she spoke. Key squirmed at the sudden attention but gestured to the weapons at the end of the table. Something changed in the red haired girl's head, almost like a switch being flicked. She sat up a little straighter and took a sip of her coffee.

Had Key just... Read the line inscribed on the deadly weapons?

Raven spoke to me, but didn't take her eyes from the girl that now continued staring at us as if what she had just said was completely normal. "David. Who is this girl?" A little strength returned to her voice.

I hadn't had time, of course, to tell her how Key and I came to meet, and so I trailed off into a rather shortened version, but a time consuming one all the same.

"Let me get this straight. She's an Enderman, from the End, who is actually an Endergirl, who stole the Ender Dragon egg and is being hunted down by hybrid Endermen."

The amount of 'Ends' that she had managed to pack into the sentence was nullifying. I nodded. "Yes."

Raven took a minute to process the overload of information, I remembered having a similar reaction. "And why did she steal the egg?"

"Well..." I turned to look at Key, who was still sitting quietly beside me. It was only then that I realized I actually didn't know the answer to Raven's inquiry.

She continued to stare into her lap as she spoke her single word reply. "Wither..."

The red haired girl on the other side of the table shifted uncomfortably. "They were going to release it?"

Key nodded.

"Does somebody want to explain what's going on?" I asked, oblivious to the horror they were referencing.