Chapter 3: Cunning woman

Bla bla bla let's get into it!
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Cunning woman.

It was essentially an impossible and ceaseless game of hide and seek. As I paced around the house looking for the intruders newest hiding place, I was still coming to terms with what had happened. She had simply disappeared. There were no mystical effects, no lightning bolts or smoke screens. The only thing that signified her unexpected travel was the sharp and sudden pop that echoed through my ears every time I lay eyes on the beautiful girl.

I had a few theories by this point, as anybody would. One, she was an escaped government project with teleporting powers. I opened the closet in the master bedroom and found the innocent looking girl with another glazed donut in her mouth, the contents of the box she held slowly diminishing. She jumped in fright and quickly vanished. Two, she was an alien who had come to survey Earth for colonization. I made my way downstairs and found her concealed beneath the blanket which rested on the sofa. Three, maybe the school nurse overdosed on the amount of anaesthetic she had given me.

I began to move slowly as I neared, making as little noise as possible. If I could just... I pounced forwards, ripping off the blanket and snatching at the crumpled box of donuts. She was gone in a moment, but I held the prize.

Finally triumphant, I examined the contents. Two! It was almost full when I left this morning! Sighing, I wandered into the kitchen and flicked the electric kettle on. Well, she must like them, and as annoying as it is, this gave me leverage. I made myself a pot of coffee, as I did every afternoon, and wandered back into the living room. I sat down on one of the almost futuristic looking metal chairs and placed everything on the large glass table. The furniture might seem expensive, but it was really just what we managed to wing out of the divorce. It didn't bother me too much anymore, thinking about it. Mom was happier and that was enough for me.

I waited.

And waited.

And waited...

As I poured my last cup of coffee, a sliver of purple appeared from around the corner. I pretended to miss it and made no sudden movements. The corner of a clear and almost flawless face slowly crept into sight, a single magenta coloured eye glaring at me. I looked up at her, caught yet again in marvel at her cuteness. I quickly pushed the thought down and focused on the task at hand.

When our eyes met she seemed to panic, and pulled back a little. But at the same time I could see she was almost as interested in me as I was in her. She soon returned, her cheeks slightly reddening, but none the less meeting my gaze. I moved slowly and obviously, as I selected a donut from the box which was barely holding together. Her lips curved downwards into a disappointed and longing frown as I brought the glazed treat to my mouth. Stopping just before my bite, I craned my neck in interest. Setting it back down, her eyes lit up and her face returned to what could almost be called a smile. And by god was it adorable. I could barely contain myself, but somehow I persisted despite the torture.

I brought it back up. Frown.

Set it back down. Smile.

Up. Frown.

Down. Smile.

I hesitated before I spoke. It was a risk, I could scare her away again, or I could finally find out why she was here. I decided I had to try. "I'll trade you one donut, for one answer, okay?" She seemed sceptical and confused, it was at this point that I considered the fact she might not even speak English. I raised an eyebrow. "Do you understand me?"

"One donut." She replied, serious as ever.

I jumped back in shock. Partly because her voice contained a sound so soft and so innocent that I might have thought it impossible, but mostly because she had lead me on and tricked me without mercy. I swore under my breath, not only could she understand my words, it seemed she had gambling figured out as well. Reluctantly, I slid one of the two sweets to the other side of the table. The corners of her mouth pulled upwards greedily.