Chapter 20: Another one bites the dust

.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

"Another one bites the dust."

I didn't have much time.

The wandering students and buildings passed by in a blur as I ran through the campus. Five hybrids at once? We could barely manage a group of high school students, let alone a team of fully fledged killing machines.

I pushed myself harder, trying to convert my nervous energy into speed. Narrowly avoiding a head-on collision with a group of nerds, I skidded around the next corner, taking off as soon as I regained control.

It felt like an age before I flung open the double doors that guarded the general administration. The secretary looked up in surprise, shouting after me as I rushed down the hall. With the amount of detentions and behavioural meetings on my record, I knew the place well.

Racing down the narrow corridors, I followed the labyrinth of offices and empty rooms until I finally stumbled upon my destination.

The small space was littered with papers, an ornamental wooden desk displaying the majority of them, as well as a small plaque.

Headmaster

Although the title came off as rather grand, the snoozing form that lay behind the desk was somewhat lacking in comparison. Honestly, he had a school to run and here he was taking a nap. Mind you, I probably wasn't the right person to be lecturing him... My eyes quickly fixed themselves on my goal.

A jumble of keys lay crowded around a single key chain, lazily thrown onto his desk. And one of those keys, flashed a Porsche logo.

Perspective Change: David

"You'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands."

Amber, Zoe and Isaac seemed a little taken aback by my words. Our enemies only smirked, and started forwards.

The skeleton that stood next to me searched my eyes for reason, and quickly found it. She still seemed a little confused, but the importance of protecting the egg was clear enough. Her gaze asked a dozen questions, promising to speak them later. I gave a small smile, and returned my attention to the threats which crept towards us.

Something was ticking at the back of my mind... I hurried to grasp a hold of the fleeting revelation. I watched the figures closely. They were different from their predecessors... The other possessed hybrids always went with a straightforward approach, charging with a series of somewhat predictable teleports. But these few...

Realisation hit me as the group began to split ever so slightly. They were surrounding us. But why didn't they just teleport into position? My mind coiled around the idea.

I took a step backwards. Noticing, my companions mirrored me. The reapers countered with a step forwards. We took a step back. They stepped forwards. We stepped back. Forwards. Back. Forwards. Back. Forwards...

"Leg it." I spoke, ending the standoff.

The four of us turned and sprinted in the other direction. A disjointed melody of pops echoed behind us, our footsteps creating a fast-paced rhythm as the chase began. A note, slightly higher in pitch, rang out as Key appeared before us. Although for some reason, she was a few meters in the air. The Endergirl yelped in surprise.

"Amber!" I shouted, tossing the egg to her.

I didn't have time to check if she caught it, instead rushing forwards as fast as my legs would take me. Extending my arms, I caught the purple haired girl moments before she smacked into the solid concrete below. I almost stumbled from the unexpected weight of the weapons she clutched in her arms. Luckily, I managed to regain my footing, and pushed onwards.