How to be fucking smart... Or not

"For the vast majority of first year law school courses, your final grade will be determined by how well you do on the final exam." Professor banner tells us while pacing through the room with his hands behind his back.

Maddy is writing down everything he says while I'm playing with my pencil, letting it balance on my index finger.

"In general -with the exception of any legal writing or research course- you will not have any quizzes to take, essays to write, or homework assignments to hand in during your first year." He adds while taking off his glasses as he leans against his desk.

"Why aren't you writing this down?" Maddy whispers while she keeps her eyes on Professor Banner.

"Because I already know all of this." I whisper back, and the pencil falls off my finger. It's no surprise that we're not having homework. It's Law-school... not high school or any kind of college. It's just studying which I call homework.

"The lack of feedback throughout the semester as well as the stress of having one exam determine your entire final grade leads to a competitive and challenging learning environment." He says, and I let out a chuckle. This man is honest, and I appreciate it.

"We should go shopping today, find some things for our house to make it look more... presentable." She whispers as soon as Professor Banner is done talking.

"I can't, I need to study." I whisper back while grabbing my books since class is over. I'm gonna go to James' office if he's there, and maybe we can study tonight.

"We can study together after shopping, we can quiz each other." She says with a smile while dropping her head against my shoulder. I don't want her to know about the tutoring because I don't want him to tutor her too. Maybe selfish I know, but if I tell her... she wants it too.

"I really can't Mads, I have to bring a book to Emma that I accidentally packed in one of the boxes." I say while standing up to walk away.

"Give it to her now. She's literally right there." Maddy says, and she points at Emma who's packing her bag like everyone else before walking out of the classroom. I leave my purse under the table and, we walk out.

"I don't have it with me right now, look... Maddy... Its already 5pm. The mall closes at 8." I say while we're walking through the hallway towards the car. Normally we walk 10 minutes towards school, but we live a little further now. Not much... just 5 more minutes of walking but we still drove.

"Can we go tomorrow please? Our house is so boring and not cozy at all." She whines while we're opening our car doors since we're parked next to each other. "Where is your purse?" She adds as she looks down at my hands.

"Oh shit, I left it in the classroom." I say as I squeeze my eyes shut like I actually forgot it.

"I'm gonna go back. We're shopping tomorrow I promise, I'll see you at home, okay?" I say while walking back towards the entrance.

Previously on 'How to be fucking smart with Harley... Harley Davis.'

She gets in her car and drives off while I walk inside again through the hallways. I'm feeling nervous again and there's a change he's not even there. Maybe he'd already left or he's in a meeting or something.

The hallway is empty and dark, and I walk to the last door where I see the light burning inside. As soon as I stand in front of the door, I hear two people talking.

Oh, this is a bad timing. He's busy, talking, and I'm not doing this right now. I turn around to walk away, but the door behind me flies open.

"Harley?" I hear two men say behind me at the exact time. I turn around and I see James and Shaun standing in front of me.