23

23 ,

23 ,

...

' tennoji, osaka
junior high

"and in the year, 1007 a japanese nobel woman by the name of murasaki shikibu wrote the first ever novel," you projected pictures of drawings related to this novel on the board. "the tale of genji takes place in the heian period. this is the last division in classical japan, following the nara period from year 794 - 1185."

this was your favorite unit to teach, this was japan's golden age! you imagined your lover writing you beautiful poetry. you imagined being apart of the imperial court, and being an important figure in history. if that came to life...well, that would be a dream.

' heian-kyo, japan
794 - 1185 CE

you stood in your room, covered in layers of silks. the more layers, the more elegant. your outfit consisted of the traditional junihitoe kimono, and your long hair draped down your back. each silk had a new pattern of beautifully painted scenes in nature. today you would be courted, although you only had eyes for one. a noble man by the name, miya atsumu. you'd known he and your father had a private conversation about him taking your hand in marriage.

atsumu was one of your best suitors, but it just so happened you fell in love with him. when you married you wouldn't be expected to spend too much time together, you wouldn't even live with him. you'd just take care of your children, and continue living on your own. weddings weren't a huge thing, your fate was already decided. you would marry atsumu.

miya atsumu; he painted art, he was a man of great words, and expressed them through his paintings. nature scenes, men sitting around a table, and even portraits of you. each day your heart grew fonder of him, yet you still wished for something more.

he accompanied you while you walked towards your fathers quarters. "there's no need to worry, we've already discussed the details," atsumu whispered to you, he didn't want any trouble. you wanted to ask your father a big question, one that wasn't typical. you wanted to live with atsumu, it had been your dream, where it would be just you two—alone.

"i have to ask, i'm not running away! that'll only make him angrier," you spoke allowed to your husband. you smiled, "we're gonna be happy, atsu!" you grabbed his face and kissed him. you would no longer have to hide your love, although you two never really did so.

...

"see, i told you it would be fine!" you grabbed his hand while you two walked back. your father accepted of course, he wanted to see you happy, like any father would want to see their daughter. this would be a shot at life with atsumu and there was an excited buzz through your system.

you got to see atsumu in his groove, his room dirtied with paint brushes, and ink. you'd only been in here once before, during on the the first times you two had traveled around together. it was a peaceful night and he invited you in, you'd been curious about his work. that night he painted his first ever portrait of you. you sat still as he concentrated harshly on the paper. "you look gorgeous," he remarked looking up from the canvas, and smiling at you.

you swore your heart skipped a beat, "thank you," you couldn't stop smiling for the rest of the night. he cracked small jokes here and there, which only made it worse. when he revealed the painting your jaw dropped, you'd seen his work but seeing a painting of you was something else. "it's amazing, miya-san," you looked at the drying ink lines on the paper in astonishment.

"atsumu is fine," he corrected you.

"you're amazing, atsumu," you repeated yourself, while smiling. something came over atsumu, and he kissed you. without hesitate you melted into him, and that's where it all began.

...

a/n: a bit of a lighter chapter to go w all we've been dealing w!!!! i rly liked this idea, and figured i would get this chapter done quick. the end of the story is nearing my luvs :"( have a wonderful night/day! xx
  - lez

explodingmars
2022