Chapter 9

Clay POV

The bell rings signaling the end of the school day. I sigh and grab all of my school work from my desk. My day today was pretty boring to be honest. George missed like half the day so I didn't get the chance to mess with him all morning, which is kind of what I do for fun around here. I mean I was happy he wasn't here to annoy me and all but I don't know for some reason I found myself looking for him.

Just to mess with him though, that's it. 

As I head to my locker I put everything away and grab my gym bag which has all my football gear in it. Surprisingly this bag actually stops my whole locker from smelling like dirty gym clothes. It's from Nike and my dad got it for me for Christmas. One of my favourite gifts, it's so easy to carry too.

This sounds like an ad. 

It's not I assure you. 

I close my locker and walk towards the locker rooms. Classes end at 2:30 and practice starts at 3:00 so it gives us around thirty minutes to get ready. 

"Clay!" Will yells when he spots me round the corner and the rest of the boys start banging on the lockers barking and screaming. This is a normal thing that happens when the captain enters the locker room, I have no idea why but It's a tradition that would happen even back when George was captain. I love the attention. 

I smile and wave them off, acting as if this doesn't feed my ego and go to get changed. Everything is normal and it's just like another day before practice. It hits three and we all go down to the field together. Coach likes when we all arrive at the same time so we look more professional, so if one of us is late then all of us are. 

We make it outside getting a few looks from teachers since we were causing so much noise in the halls, which they should be used to by now. As we finally get on the field a few of the boys start taking out the balls and get in pairs just throwing the ball to each other, we usually do this before coach comes out to tell us to start doing our warmup laps. 

He approaches the field, but he's not alone. He has his arm wrapped around a boy I would notice anywhere.

George.

And he's not just walking with him, he has his jersey and football gear on. What the fuck is going on? I continue staring and suddenly get a football to the face. "Ow!" I yell rubbing the side of my head. Nick laughs in response. 

"It's not my fault you weren't paying attention" he shrugs walking towards me. I don't respond and he turns his attention to what I have been looking at.

"No way, George is back?" he asks seeming shocked. 

"I have no idea" I feel the anger rise to my face, why the fuck is he back and why wouldn't coach tell me? I always find everything out first since I'm captain and it's pissing me off that he wouldn't tell me this. 

"Boys! Huddle up!" Coach yells and we all jog over. People start whispering about George being there. He looks me straight in the eyes wearing the smuggest look on his face and waves in the sassiest way, while only using his fingers. My hand balls up in a fist at the sight of it. 

"Alright I know you are probably all confused right now, but don't get your hopes up, Davidson isn't officially on the team yet he's just here so I can test him" 

"And if he passes?" Karl asks. 

"Then he'll be back on the team." He states. Everyone starts cheering and tapping George on the back, feeding his fucking ego. I just stand there narrowing my eyes in his direction.