Chapter 19

Clay POV

"George, are you up?" I ask keeping my voice soft. After sitting here for the past few hours, I have grown pretty tired. But I decided it was probably best to not leave him alone after experiencing something like that. I've been sitting on his couch in his room which faces his bed, scrolling through tik tok. A couple seconds ago I saw him stirring and groaning so I assume he's awake.

He pulls the covers over his head and remains silent. I let out a concerned sigh. I have never been in a situation like this so I'm not sure what to do. All I know is I want to do my best to make him feel better, and be a shoulder to cry on. Our dumb rivalry can wait for now.

I walk over and sit on the corner of his bed, deciding not to get too close to him considering he probably wants space right now. "He's gone, George" I say again, cursing myself at the idiotic comment. No shit he's gone? I mentally face palm myself. I'm at a loss for words and I don't want to say the wrong thing to trigger him right now. But, yet again I am met with silence.

"Look George, I promise you you're safe now okay? I'll make sure of it myself. He will never step foot near you again" I continue, trying my best to comfort him. I see his hand rise to the top of his blanket and pull it back under his chin, where I can see his face.

"You've said that before Clay" he mumbles so lowly I barely caught it.

"But you're free now, he no longer has those disturbing videos or pictures anymore." I pause and keep my gaze on him, "he no longer has you anymore"

He refuses to return my stare and it looks like he is in deep thought about something. "How are you feeling?" I ask knowing George isn't one for talking about his feelings, and he might even be stubborn enough to keep it to himself during a time like this.

I see him shrug from under the covers. "I'm fine" he replies, keeping his answers short.

"You're so stubborn" I say lightheartedly rolling my eyes. I guess I called it. "It's okay to not be okay" I give him a soft smile and lift his chin up so he makes eye contact with me as the words spew out of my mouth. His face remains neutral as expected and he sighs, "thanks for the help Clay, you can leave now." He pushes my hand away from his face and rolls over, facing the opposing wall, still cocooned in his blankets.

"If you think I'm leaving you're more of an idiot than I thought." I push myself up from his bed and I make my way to his bedroom door. "I'm ordering pizza, any preferences?" I pull out my phone from my pocket and scroll through my uber eats app. Quietness fills the room. "Alright hope you like mushrooms on your pizza!" I shout before exiting, closing the door behind me. I make my way to his living room knowing the house pretty well since he has thrown plenty of parties here in the past. I throw myself on the couch and wait for the pizza to arrive as I put on my favourite show, Prison Break.

As the show goes on I find myself losing concentration. All that is filling my mind is vivid memories of what had just occurred. George's screams I heard when running down the hall, the way he had fallen not being able to keep himself up.

And to the way Braden was standing there, with that wicked grin he carries. When I saw him all I could see was blood. In the moment I genuinely thought I was gonna kill him. It felt like something had taken over me.

Alas, I didn't but I feel like I'm being put in a weird position. Of course I won't go around telling the school, its not my place. And I would have saved anyone in that moment, it just so happened to be George.

I take a deep breath and try to shake away my thoughts.

An hour passes and the pizza finally arrives. I shoot George a quick text letting him know. I pay and thank the Pizza guy. As I set up the dinning room table, I listen for footsteps that never come. Maybe he's still sleeping? He's been sleeping for awfully long and definitely needs to eat. I sigh and start walking up his stairs to his room. I hear movement before opening the door, so I decide to knock in case he is getting changed, even though I had to change him earlier, I didn't really see anything.