Chapter 12

Clay POV

Today is the last day of the school week and I feel completely drained and can't wait for it to be over.

This morning my parents were home and we said our goodbyes before they left for the weekend. It was nice to sit down and enjoy breakfast together. They have been somewhat home this week so it was nice having some company, but I knew it wasn't going to last for too long.

As I pull into school, I can't help but notice my eyes searching for a specific car. I scan the parking lot until my eyes land on George's spot.

Which is taken.

I let out a slow breath I didn't realize I was holding and park in my normal spot. I guess he's finally decided to show up to school.

I don't really know my game plan here. After finding out the truth, my mind has still not processed what I had been told. I know for a fact George would never accept any type of help from me, and maybe he was right that it was only a one time thing.

I despise George, for obvious reasons. However, I do have a small soft spot for him. This is only because I envy how perfect he is, and how he is the only person at this school to keep me on my toes. Its fun to get a break from the yes men at this school.

I check the time and I quickly gather my things. I was too caught up in my own thoughts to notice that I was gonna be late for class. Entering the school, I'm faced with empty hallways, everyone seeming to have already been in class. I get to my first period and listen to the dumb lecture my teacher gives me.

I go to find my seat at the back of the class and that's when my eyes fall on him. George is sitting there laughing with Alex.

But he's wearing sunglasses.

Which is extremely odd since we are in the middle of class right now so why would he even need those.

I take my seat next to him and he doesn't even look in my direction. Usually he would take any chance he could get to insult me or throw some petty remarks my way. Instead, he pretends like he hasn't noticed me. I pull out my pencil and binder. I decide to butt in their conversation when the laughter dies down. "George, nice to see you" I flash him a sarcastic smile as his eyes meet mine.

Which I can't even see because of the dumb glasses.

"I would say the same, but my new years resolution was to be more truthful" he says back keeping his tone sassy as usual. New years resolution, really? Its fucking September. Part of me is relieved that he isn't acting different, but at the same time how could he act so normal after what I've seen.

"What's with the shades?" I ask brushing off his last comment. He seems to be at a loss of words for a second, and I pick up on his slight change of mood. He keeps his glare facing the front of the classroom as he responds remaining playful, "I was bored so felt like starting a new trend"

"You look like an idiot" I roll my eyes.

"And what's your excuse for looking like one?" He questions rhetorically trying to keep the conversation light like always. Why the fuck did I even care about this guy, he seems perfectly fine to me. Unless his distractions are working and he's better at concealing his feelings than I thought. Which I'll go with the latter.

"George, no glasses in class you know the rules!" My attention snaps forward as the teacher calls on George.

"I have a prescription" he replies looking through his bag for what I assume to be a note. He pulls out a paper and walks towards the teacher handing it to her. She hums as she reads it and looks up at him with furrowed brows. "Nice try George, but I know your writing far too well."