A Gift From My Liege

Penny sat unnaturally still. Dumbledore's office was a comforting place, it radiated the freedom of Hogwarts. His blue eyes twinkled sadly in the candlelight light, watching her from across his desk. Snape left her with him, sweeping from the room without explanation. In his absence, Penny begged the headmaster to summon Harry, to which he agreed. Penny could think of nothing else but Harry, not a single word was able to be formed while she watched the clock tick by, ten, and then fifteen minutes in silence, waiting for his messy head of hair to burst through the door. Then, finally, she heard the footsteps and the severe notes of Professor McGonagall's voice.

"I must impress upon you Mr. Potter, the serious nature of the incident--"

The door flew open without a knock and Penny was on her feet, staring into his green eyes. A moment later, his arms twisted around her, his hand running through her hair, desperate to confirm she was real.

"I knew you'd come back. No one believed me," he said so quietly only she could hear.

"Can you blame them?" she replied, trying to suppress the overwhelming emotion in her chest.

"Where were you all this time?" he said, pulling away slightly to search her face.

"Wish I knew. But listen, Harry, did Professor McGonagall tell you--"

"Tell me what," Harry demanded, his eyes turning suddenly fierce.

Penny glanced at her professor, who shook her head apologetically. Penny couldn't blame her, Harry was an impossible person to communicate with when he was set on something and she imagined as soon as he heard she was in the castle, he was not interested in anything else.

"My expression is -- a problem. It did things without my intending," Penny began, trying to find the right words, but nothing felt adequate.

She wanted it not to be the case, and to leave with Harry. Have a laugh about something stupid, eat dinner in the Great Hall, and complain about homework. But they wouldn't be returning to their reality, the one that saved them from their aunt and uncle's. Penny always believed nothing could encroach on their bliss, yet in a matter of minutes she'd be hauled away and Hogwarts could not help her.

"We all lose control, it's normal. Don't you remember when I blew up aunt Marge? You just expect too much of yourself," said Harry.

"I'm not you, they're -- well, the ministry is taking me away from Hogwarts for a while," Penny burst out.

The abruptness startled even her, but Sirius always did tell her to be more direct with her brother. It would be a poor thing not to prepare him for the worst with so little time to discuss this.

"They can't, that's absurd, Professor, do something?" Harry said brows furrowed, looking from Penny to Dumbledore.

"I'm afraid there is nothing I can do, Harry. The Ministry has a lot of regulations regarding magic they cannot trace. The minister has assured me they will work on expediting the process and returning Penny to us as soon as feasible," Dumbledore replied gently, getting to his feet.

"She isn't dangerous! They can't just take her away like she's a criminal or something, she belongs here! She hasn't done anything wrong!" Harry said angrily, taking Penny's hand firmly in his, like a child would cling to a beloved toy, refusing to relinquish it to another.

"You are right, Penny has done nothing wrong, but that has never stopped people from fearing what they do not understand. It is my hope that the talented witches and wizards at the ministry will be able to help Penny control her expression, because she is a danger, but to herself rather than others," said Dumbledore, placing a hand on Harry's shoulder.