Spinners End

Happy update day!

Happy update day!

Long time no see friends!

Sorry for my prolonged absence. Life has been stressful and I've been doing some trips for work that have left me exhausted, and then I got hit with writers block :( But I've finally overcome it! So don't worry, I haven't abandoned this story and I am glad to be back :) DH changes gears a bit, but this chapter has some fun in it that I hope you will enjoy.

Happy reading!

******

After a while, the others dispersed, some inside, others elsewhere to grieve alone for their fallen friend. Hermione and Ron shared a look with Lupin and made their way to the garden chairs a way off, giving the other three a little privacy.

"The others-did-did they make it?"

Lupin was the one who answered.

"Yes, but not all of us are as intact as we were when we left."

"What? Who?" Penny said, cold dread pooling in her stomach as she rounded on Lupin.

"George. It seems Snape crossed his path before yours, and there were no second thoughts about the side he picked."

"Is George alright?" Penny asked, panic rising in her chest as looked nervously back toward the house. She wanted to run across the field, but her feet remained planted where they were, afraid of what would meet her when she crossed the threshold.

"He will be," Lupin said, laying a reassuring hand on Penny's shoulder. "Molly is tending to him now, but there is no recovering the ear he lost."

The words reached Penny but she did not quite comprehend them. Her tired green eyes looked back at the warm brown ones watching her, taking in the trepidation staring back at him. He seemed satisfied that his point about Snape being dangerous was finally setting in, so he did not push the topic, though Penny could tell he'd wanted to say more.

"I would take you inside to see him, but I think it unwise for us to linger any longer."

"What do you mean, linger? This is a safe house, isn't it?" interjected Harry, green eyes flashing suspiciously toward Lupin.

"For you, yes, Harry. But we can't be certain the protective charms will hold against whatever spell on Penny's mark allows her to be tracked. So, it's necessary to split you two up.

"No one asked us!" Penny fumed at the same moment Harry raged, "You can't just take her away after everything that's happened! What if the Death Eaters go looking for her, who's going to protect her?"

"While it is not the most desirable of options, it is a necessary precaution. As much as I wish I could keep you together as you rightly should be, we cannot waste Moody's sacrifice by taking the risk. But I assure you, Harry," Lupin pressed, putting up his hand to stop Harry when he opened his mouth to furiously interject again, "I will not allow anyone to harm Penny. Thankfully, my cottage is a ways off the beaten path, so I do not anticipate any unwelcome visitors. But you have my word that Penny is in good hands."