Try an Invertebrate First

The last bits of lingering warm weather and sunshine were quickly fading by the time the second week of the term arrived. The weekend had been a dismal affair of Penny doing her homework while forcing Harry to do his. Between detentions and being irresponsible, he was absurdly behind on all of it. Just looking at his pile made Penny tired, but she refrained from doing the work for him, a disapproving Hermione adamant the lesson would benefit him more.

Penny only barely managed to survive the displeasure of Angelina Johnson when she did not show up for tryouts. A great number of people, including Hannah Abbot and Ernie McMillion hailed Penny down, eager to know why she hadn't tried out. Neither they nor Angelina had accepted the excuse about her health, and Angelina continued to badger her until Professor McGonagall finally intervened on Penny's behalf. The entire situation made Penny feel extremely awkward around Ron, who had tried out and was selected. It was obvious he was starting to feel as though he was just second best, which did not help his already abysmal confidence.

Wanting nothing to do with the entire situation, Penny avoided the Gryffindor common room for the entire week and left Harry to deal with Ron and Angelina. Being sick of books, Penny spent most of her free time in Professor McGonagall's classroom, whom she'd asked permission to practice her vanishing spells. Her head of house seemed satisfied with Penny's will not to give up, even if it had not turned into much progress in class. She'd even gone so far as to give Penny an extension on her test that week, which Penny would do on Saturday, giving her two extra days to practice.

Feeling afraid for the first time in her life that she would receive a failing grade, Penny was spending all of her Friday afternoon in the classroom, exhausting herself from her fruitless efforts.

But after hours with no success, she decided on a break. Lighting the lanterns in the classroom first, she plopped backwards, laying herself down on the cold desk, her legs dangling over the side. She banged her head up and down in frustration, letting out an anguished yell.

"I hate you, you stupid wand! A lot of good you do for me!" Penny said, sitting up and lobbing it toward the front of the classroom.

Penny did not bother to watch its progression, staring out the dimming window instead. But when she did not hear it clatter to the floor when she expected it would, she turned, curious to figure out where it had gone.

Watching her with her wand clutched in his left hand was Severus Snape, his wand in his other. His foot tapped impatiently as his brows disappeared into his hairline.

"Just to be clear, I wasn't throwing that at you," Penny said.

"Your wand, Ms. Potter, does little for you on the floor," he replied, weaving through desks to make his way to her.

"That wand refuses to do anything for me," Penny said, turning away in irritation.

"And what is it you are trying to get it to do?" he said, stopping right in front of her so she could not avoid his gaze.

"Vanish this," Penny fumed, picking up her squealing mouse by the end of its tail.

He considered it for a moment, then waved her wand wordlessly. It was odd, holding a squirming creature Penny could not see.

"It appears the problem isn't the tool but the user," Snape said with a smirk.

"Isn't there some etiquette that says it is rude to use another person's wand," Penny said, darkly, dropping the invisible mouse back into the box.

"Your sulking only serves to solidify the point, accept the teaching moment."

"And what teaching moment is that?"