Wizard's Chess

WARNING: ABUSE AND VIOLENCE

Penny's body lay spread-eagle on her bed, an open letter still clutched in her hand. The ink was smudged and the paper worn, but still it was legible.

Dear Penny,

I was so delighted to see your edits on the essay. I really think you are a very talented young witch, it was really my luck to have been privileged to teach you. But don't just take my word for it. I am writing with the spectacular news that the Daily Prophet has accepted your work and you will be featured in the first week of October! You have earned this, I'm so proud! I hope you don't mind that I asked Dumbledore to do the write up of your profile. I would have done it myself, but being what I am, I did not want to tarnish your moment, The headmaster was also very enthusiastic about helping and had some wonderful things to say about you, but you will see soon enough, I don't want to spoil anything.

On the nature of your concerns, I am familiar with expression, it is unfortunate that Grindelwald is the only case people know of, but the gift is very rare. You would do well to heed Professor Snape and avoid the Durmstrangs, I would not put violence past them, especially with the history they have with Grindelwald, but please remember it comes from a place of ignorance. There is nothing wrong with you. I wish your dad were here to tell you himself, what a wonderful, kind, and brilliant young woman you are. But I knew your dad very well, and for many years, so I hope you will trust the authority with which I speak on this subject, there would have been no question in either of your parents' mind on this: you are perfect just the way you are and there is no need to fear yourself. It will take time to understand, and I am sure Dumbledore is already working on it, but just allow yourself time to process it. We will figure this out. I am always here for you, don't forget that. I'll do everything in my power to help you.

Harry is very much like your father! I daresay most of us find it hard to believe that Professor Snape has taken a liking to any student outside of Slytherin. Don't let it get you down, it seems like the mentorship is as good for Professor Snape as it is you, Harry will come around eventually, but to us outside observers, you have nothing to worry about trusting Severus Snape. I believe he has your best interests at heart.

I better wrap up this letter, I still have some things to finish today. Before I go, I was hoping to visit you and Harry in Hogsmede on November 6th. Perhaps we could have a butterbeer and check out Zonkos around 3pm, does that work for you? Let me know and I'll make arrangements, and bring some books of interest along for you. I miss our chats at Hogwarts too, Penny, but just because our friendship looks different these days doesn't mean it's any less valuable. Try and stay positive.

Again I am SO proud!
Remus Lupin.

Steps echoed in the hall causing Penny to bolt upright in her bed, head swiveling to the door. Her eyes betrayed no grogginess, but stared with panic at the dark wooden frame, dark circles encasing them like a cage. It swung open, and the dreaded, squeaky shoes crossed the room, their silent frame dressed in maroon robes, flanked by two more, who wore black robes. None of them spoke, not even a greeting. They simply crossed to her, in the robotic motion they did every night. Behind them was the cart they always brought. The first reached for a device on top and made for Penny.

"You know a, 'hello, sorry to wake you,' would be polite," Penny said, eyeing the collar-like device with disgust.

The silent man ignored her and pressed the evil blue button that opened the device. He approached her, aiming for her neck. Penny instinctively raised her arms, having nowhere to retreat to.

"Marshall, do you like that name? I decided on it since you refuse to tell me your actual name. But look, Marshall, can we not have a civil discussion about this. I know you think this is science , but you do realize you are forcing a collar onto a human, an underage human at that. What happened to children's rights?" Penny demanded.