Breathe With Me

WARNING  violence. It's not against Penny, and isn't too graphic, but nevertheless it's there so make the right choice for you.

*****

When they stepped through the large double doors, Penny could not help but gasp a little. She knew the manor would be grand from the outside, but the marble entryway and staircase were so stunning, Penny wondered how it was someone's home, surely it was much too nice to be lived in. She felt like she was tainting it by walking over it.

They all paused for a moment, Penny finally looking over to meet the blue eyes that were watching her with interest. They were very startling against his dark brown hair. He was very handsome and noticeably younger than Snape. There was a youthful mischievousness in his blue eyes that Penny did not like. While his smile was charming, she felt as though it were the worm to lure the fish close enough to snare. Penny did not want to be anywhere near him, so she looked away, so she chanced a glance at Snape who's own gaze was also on the young man, a distinct look of distrust on his features.

"Is she a muggle?" the stranger asked, casually, still watching Penny.

"Half-blood," Snape corrected, producing Penny's wand, amazing her with how swiftly he'd removed it from her. She really needed to be better about keeping track of it.

"Pity, she would have been an ideal May Queen. No matter though, I'm sure she will still prove to be entertaining enough."

Snape gave a small snort in the back of his throat that Penny would have believed to be a natural response to the conversation, but the grip on her arm told her it was likely Snape stopping himself from remarking on the sentiment.

"I forgot, the spy cannot have a good time," the stranger said, a note of irritation in his voice, apparently taking the snort as one of derision.

"Or perhaps your idea of a good time, Alecto, is utterly mundane," Snape sneered.

"Don't worry. Severus, the Dark Lord has acquired plenty of little boys for tonight's festivities, no doubt you will find those more to your taste," Alecto said.

Before Snape could respond Alecto turned and made for the West side of the house, leaving Snape looking oddly relieved at his exit, and unusually unperturbed by his jab. Penny on the other hand was staring at her Potions Master in shock trying hard to comprehend not only the conversation she'd just witnessed but also the reality of her situation. Penny, in theory, knew Death Eaters were awful, evil even. They killed and tortured, and of course, Snape had been one of them, and was still one of them for Dumbledore, but she'd never been able to imagine the reality of the life Snape had lived and was now living.

The thought sent goosebumps bursting all over her skin, which caught the attention of Snape, who looked down his hooked nose on her, his brow furrowed. With a steely iciness he seemed to set his jaw and then push her towards the staircase, whispering harshly, "Say nothing." He proceeded to drag her up the staircase, turning right once they reached the top, steering her away from the sound of voices talking loudly in a room at the far end of the hall.

Snape opened a door and pushed Penny into a dark room. Evidently paranoid, he pulled out his wand and muttered "muffliato" and then dragged Penny toward a very spacious cupboard that he shut the two of them into.

"What was that? Little boys as in children?" Penny said, rounding on Snape.

"Pott--" Snape started before stopping himself, glancing toward the door like a tweaker might. "You are sitting on very thin ice, I suggest you do as you're told and shut up," he continued, rubbing the bridge of his nose.

"I'm on thin ice? This is all your fault! I was having a perfectly normal day--"

"Does anything penetrate that thick skull of yours! Do you have any idea the kind of--what he'd do--that I'd--" Snape raged in hissed whisper, struggling to find words to convey his anger.