As You Wish

In order to keep Dolores Umbridge away from Penny, Professor Dumbledore, along with Madam Pomfrey, officially reported that Penny had spattergroit. Due to the fact that it was renowned for being highly infectious and that purple pustules were its defining feature, Professor Umbridge was not the least bit willing to risk exposure to determine if these reports were true or not.

To Penny's relief, this also meant she was not allowed visitors, not even her brother. The tumultuous emotions within her made her shy away from wanting to speak to anyone and she dreaded the day she would finally have to explain what had happened. Unfortunately, that day came much sooner than Penny anticipated. Though he was not allowed in the room, Harry had somehow convinced Madam Pomfrey to allow him to sit outside her door to keep her company. Oddly, Madam Pomfrey, who normally disapproved of visitors when her patients needed rest, encouraged Harry to come as often as he liked, believing it was what Penny needed to overcome her panic attacks. Penny, still shaken by what had transpired between her and Snape, and still unable to process her memories, was too ashamed to respond to Harry for the first several days he'd sat outside for hours. By the third day, Penny finally relented, dragged her pillow and blanket to the door, and sat down there.

"Harry?" she said, her own voice alien to her.

"Penny--" came Harry's startled reply, as though he had just been roused from sleep.

"Sorry, did I wake you?"

"No-- of course not," he lied.

A faint smile formed on Penny's lips, Harry was always an awful liar, especially when it came to her.

"Are-are you okay?" he asked, tentatively, after a moment's silence.

"Depends on what you mean by okay, I suppose," Penny sighed, pulling her blanket closer to her chest.

"Madam Pomfrey wouldn't tell me what happened, but Hermione, she-she said you poisoned yourself. . ." Harry trailed off, his voice strained with emotion.

"Of course she worked out what I'd taken, she is far too clever sometimes."

"Why, Penny, tell me why you'd want to die!" Harry said, his voice suddenly forceful, full of pain and betrayal. "I know it's been hard since Ce-since he died, but I thought it was getting better, I thought--you would have come to me if it was this bad."

Confused and bewildered, Penny sat stunned, trying to process what Harry was saying.

"Harry, I wasn't trying to kill myself, if that's what you thought," Penny said, weakly.

"How can you say that like I'm some sort of idiot, no one just poisons themselves for the hell of it!" he said, sounding angry now. "It's always been you and me, you're all I have, what did I do to make you not trust me anymore? Did you think--" but Harry didn't get to finish his sentence because Penny had yanked the door open and flung herself between the crack, landing on Harry, her arms so tight around his neck that he choked, his hands moving immediately to try and loosen her hold.

Penny obliged, but did not let go, instead she buried her head into his neck. Harry's arms found Penny and hugged her back, pulling her tightly into him as though he were afraid that if he loosened his hold she would escape out the window.

They remained like this for several minutes, Penny soaking in the comfort of her scrawny twin, Harry allowing her the space to work out her thoughts, waiting patiently for her to be ready to explain. When she finally managed to find her voice, she said "I've been such an idiot."

"Yeah, so what's new," said Harry, the grin apparent in his voice, causing Penny to chuckle.

"I wasn't trying to die, Harry, I swear it. I could never do that to you--I won't make you face what's to come alone. Please believe me," she said, pulling away to frown down at him.