James' Daughter and The Damn Dog

The muggle inside of Penny was still surprised when the shaggy dog at her feet became the tall, handsome, incredibly dirty, man she knew to be her godfather. Sirius grinned at them, his hair longer than Penny remembered it. He was thin and his clothing was torn. The man was a hot mess, but his happiness at seeing the three of them before him was contagious. Lupin didn't waste a moment and embraced his old friend, Harry quickly following suit. Penny found herself nervous even though she'd spent so much time wishing to see Sirius again. Thankfully, he did not notice and bridged the distance between them and pulled Penny into a rough hug before holding her at arm's length,

"It's uncanny how much you look like your mother, Penny. It really is like looking at a ghost," said Sirius, his eyes glazing over much in the same way Snape's did from time to time.

Penny couldn't help but roll her eyes, she'd heard that line one too many times in her life.

"So everyone says, I might try coloring my hair black just so I won't have to hear it anymore, then maybe take on your last name, if you'll let me," Penny said, shooting a grin at Harry.

"My mother would turn over in her grave, it sounds like a brilliant idea," Sirius replied with a bark of laughter.

"No one is touching Penny's hair," said Lupin, looking much less amused by the proposition than Sirius.

"Remus, why do you always have to be be such a killjoy. We already know what she'd look like," said Sirius, gesturing to Harry.

"I don't think I'd make a very pretty girl," said Harry, skeptically.

Lupin raised his eyebrow in an I-told-you-so manner, to which Sirius scoffed.

"Considering it's my hair, I'll be the one to decide," Penny said, darkly.

"Atta girl," Sirius said, slapping Penny on the back in what she assumed must be an affectionate gesture, but she was not quite sure because it nearly sent her toppling to the floor. She caught herself on Harry's head, who'd taken a seat on the nearest rock. He yelped when a few of the hairs from his head came loose beneath her grasp.

"Erm, sorry. It's been a while since I've been in this form," said Sirius apologetically.

"Don't worry about it Sirius, Penny is just unbalanced," Harry replied with a grin.

"A product of being your sister," Penny retorted, straightening herself.

"Well, it certainly feels like the holidays," Lupin laughed, waving his wand to conjure a table and chairs for them, a small candle hovering just above it.

Following his lead, Penny pulled her rucksack off her shoulder, "I brought you some things, Sirius."

He sat down, his eyes looking bright with excitement even though they were shadowed by the horrendous bags he had developed while in Azkaban. Meanwhile, Harry handed Sirius a pile of chicken from his own bag, which Sirius began inhaling immediately. Penny pulled a plate full of sandwiches, mashed potatoes, pork cutlets, a container of pumpkin juice, rice pudding, a cake, two bars of soap, a tooth brush, a blanket, several books, a new pair of clothing, and several games from her sack.

"Did you enchant that yourself?" Lupin asked, looking mildly impressed.

"Hermione helped me. We were in the library one evening when we decided to try, it's actually been really convenient," Penny replied off-handedly, jamming her arm all the way to her shoulder into the bag to ensure she hadn't missed anything.

Her fingers slid over the smooth surface of her camera and she yanked it out and tossed the sack to the floor just in time to see Sirius come up for air from his food. He accepted a glass of juice from Harry gratefully and eyed the haul, turning over the toothbrush in his hand like it was a luxury he could have only ever dreamed of.