Who Are You?

Well, it's been a minute and I think I owe you all an explanation. But I wanted to start with, thank you from the bottom of my heart. If you sent me a message over these last months. I want you to know, it got me through one of the darkest times in my life. I didn't have anything left to give and I was trying to figure myself out and get out of something really unhealthy. But I read all your words, all of them, and they gave me so much hope that I could get back here again and write the story I believe deserves an ending. You all deserve to know where Penny and Snape go, and I want to make that happen for you because you guys and this story bring me so much joy. SO thank. you, thank you for being here for me even though I am a random person on the internet. <3

I hope you enjoy this chapter that has been too long in the works

******

"You're from Beauxbaton? You don't sound very French," said Sirius, turning his attention away from Lupin to look skeptically at the pair of them.

Draco stepped forward, a sneer curling his lip. "And tell me, exactly how are the French supposed to sound?" he said, voice dripping with a very convincing French-derision that made James' lips upturn in a placating smile; Lupin shift uncomfortably, and Sirius run his hand through his hair awkwardly.

"Uh—"

"Please excuse Sirius, he's lived an incredibly uncultured life. Of course none of us are doubting your French-ness, we're merely surprised because this is the first we've heard of new students coming, not to mention the timing seems a bit odd considering there's only a month left of the final term," said James.

"Uncultured," Sirius argued. "I'll show you uncultured, Prongs."

"Later, you shameless exhibitionist, Padfoot," James grinned.

"We came to take the NEWTs seeing as your Ministry of Magic will only consider applicants who have sat them," Penny said, the confidence in her voice making Sirius' frown falter.

"Is that true, Moony?" he said, turning back to Lupin.

"Technically, yes. But I did not think we were hiring outsiders right now" he said before realizing what he'd implied and blushed in embarrassment. "I mean—our relations with Ministère des Affaires Magiques de la France are great and of course it makes sense but—" he rambled before deciding it was better to just shut up.

Watching him made Penny smile. Young Remus was very different to the eloquent, albeit, currently infuriating man she knew, and yet that tender heart in him remained exactly as she once knew it before he'd turned into the liar he was in the present.

"What Moony is trying to say is how do we know you're not spies?" corrected Sirius.

"That's not—Sirius! You can't—"spluttered Remus.

"Tell me, why exactly should we care if the likes of you think we're spies? I wasn't aware any of you lot had hiring authority at the Ministry," drawled Draco.

"A fair point," said James,"I think we've offended our new friends enough, so why don't you shut your trap already, Sirius," he went on, slapping the handsome boy across the back of the head.