Sectumsempra

The week moved by at a snail's speed, something Penny would normally be happy about considering May was the only thing standing between her and her exams, which she felt very unprepared for

The week moved by at a snail's speed, something Penny would normally be happy about considering May was the only thing standing between her and her exams, which she felt very unprepared for. Her only solace was found in the fact Ginny and all the other fifth years looked much more miserable than she with their approaching OWLs, something Penny was glad to not have to worry about. Even Harry felt bad enough to let Ginny have a couple of practices off to study, something Ron had much to say about.

With their final game approaching and their only hope for winning the House Cup being a victory by a 300 point margin or more, things were tense, but Harry, in that way of his, persisted and somehow managed to keep team morale up.

Because of the approaching match and Penny's recent discussion with Harry about visiting their parent's grave, Penny found herself in the trophy room during one of her breaks. Before her sat a shiny plaque with the names of previous Gryffindor Team players, at the center of which she read James Potter.

She grazed the name with her fingers thinking of that beautiful man as she went over every last detail she'd noticed about him when they'd met on that bridge.

"Gryffindor won the cup every year he was on the team," Lupin said gently from beside her.

He must have been intent on not disturbing her because she hadn't noticed him come in.

"That year," he nodded toward the plaque, "was the only year he was nervous the streak might break."

"Why?" Penny asked, remembering how adorable a nervous James looked.

"His best chaser was mysteriously thrown out of commission just before the match. James was beside himself. I've never seen him so desperate to find a replacement. I think he would have sold his soul to win that match if it came down to that," he smiled at the recollection of the memory.

"Sounds like someone else I know," Penny grinned, thinking of how crazed quidditch made Harry. "So what'd he do?"

"He didn't do anything. We had a French exchange student in Gryffindor that year. She insisted he put her in and she won the game for him. If James hadn't been dating Lily at the time, I think he might have proposed to her."

"Imagine if it went that way and I'd never been born," Penny said, turning away from that name she loved to find those brown eyes looking crossly back at her.

"Why would I want to imagine something so awful?," he said, tugging her into his chest so he looked down at her and force her to feel the full effect of his displeasure before giving her a hard squeeze..

The bones in her back cracked, making him chuckle into her hair. He lingered, breathing in the smell of her as Penny listened to that pounding heart of his.

"You're leaving again, aren't you?"

"Yes. But I won't be returning to the werewolves. I'll be staying in London so if you need anything—" he said, whatever else coming after, Penny didn't catch because the heart in her chest sank at the word 'London'.