A Diligent Disciplinarian

Christmas morning came too soon for Penny, who'd sorely missed her bed and become accustomed to sleeping in. But Hermione forced her groggily from it and the two of them made their way to the boys dormitories where Penny threw herself onto Harry's bed and buried herself beneath his covers. He groaned momentarily before sitting up and reaching for his glasses. Penny on the other hand remained decidedly in the comfort of the bed.

Having been a prisoner for the last month, she hadn't exactly had the time to Christmas shop, but no one seemed to mind, and a pile of gifts was placed before her, which was enough to coax her into a sitting position. Everyone tore open their presents and dug immediately into the sweet treats they found within. Hermione had gotten Penny a collection of muggle classics that were rewritten for wizards. Ron, in a moment of unusual thoughtfulness, gave Penny and Harry matching watches that were jimmy-rigged to replicate the Weasley family clock which, instead of displaying the time, displayed the whereabouts and physical condition of every family member, in this case Penny and Harry. Penny had the suspicious feeling he'd gotten the idea from her disappearance, but she gave him a tight hug nevertheless, which caused him to turn a deep shade of red. Mrs. Weasley sent her usual box of goodies and knitted sweaters, while Harry had selected a ring with a gemstone in the center that was bewitched to change colors and tell the wearer what emotions the people them were around were feeling. It seemed legit, because it indicated everyone was cheerful. Further into her pile, Penny found dozens of sweet treats attached to letters written by her peers who expressed their happiness at her return to Hogwarts. At the very bottom was a gift from Lupin and Sirius that was beautifully wrapped, (she assumed by Lupin, because Sirius did not strike her as the type to have the patience for such an activity.) Inside, she found a new, pearly white cauldron that was designed to change colors depending on its temperature, allowing for more precision while brewing.

"So, how was the ball, I didn't see you all night?" Hermione asked Penny.

"Don't remind me of it," Penny groaned, looking down at her swollen hand.

Harry caught sight of it, and everyone moved closer to look at the bruised mess of a limb.

"What happened!" Harry demanded.

"I ran into some Durmstrangs, one came at me, so I broke his nose," Penny said with a sigh.

"Are you sure you hit a nose and not a pole?" Ron said, skeptically.

"Did Malfoy set you up?" Harry asked, angrily.

"Draco? Of course not. I went out to get some fresh air by myself," said Penny.

"Oh, Penny! Didn't Professor Snape warn you about this?" said Hermione, looking reproachful.

"Yeah, as he reminded me last night before he gave me detention today," Penny said, a sour expression taking up residence on her face.

"On Christmas!" Ron and Harry exclaimed in unison. "He really is evil," Ron said under his breath.

"You don't even know the half of it," muttered Penny, bitterly.

Harry raised his brow expectantly, and Penny realized all three of them were waiting for an explanation she did not really want to give.

"Erm, he found me with Cedric, and we got into a fight," she said, trying to act casual.

"Why were you with Diggory?" Ron asked, looking suspicious, "And why would that make you get into a fight with Snape?" Harry added.

Hermione gave Penny a piercing stare, her mouth sliding into a knowing grin that made Penny feel like it would be impossible to lie her way out of this. Perhaps if she just omitted some details. . .