The House of Truth

As promised, another update! wahoo

As promised, another update! wahoo. There is no Snape in this chapter, but he will return next chapter, I promise!

There are, however, a lot of important plot points in this chapter, so be sure to pay attention! I intend to try and get the next chapter out in a couple of days :) so we can be well on our way to book seven!

And now let us embark and MEET GRINDELWALD

******

The late afternoon cast the lovely face before her in a vibrant glow.

"Time to wake up, sleepy head," Lupin said softly, his finger skimming along her face.

"But I don't want to, this is such a nice dream," Penny replied, pulling the blanket higher in her sleep haze.

"That is precisely the reason I sat here for far too long watching you. But we really must be getting a move on now."

"Fine," Penny groaned, pushing the blanket aside and giving a large stretch. When she'd finished her yawn, she turned back to Lupin finding his eyes fixed on that grotesque mark of hers. "Remus. . ." she said, reaching for his face.

"I won't revisit what's already been said, Penny," he said before she could finish her own sentence. His gaze flicked back to hers, eyes hard. "But I cannot pretend—I need you to know I will never forgive him for this. It's impossible. So please don't ask me to."

Penny nodded, a confused mixture of thoughts and feelings getting knotted up in her chest. Maybe it would have gone differently if she'd just been honest from the start, if she and Snape had not been so desperate to feel some sense of control in the situation; when in reality the entire ordeal had sent them spiraling. But their choice was made, and now they had to live with the consequence of wanting to preserve their peace.

They got up and dressed, Penny packing her things while Lupin sent word back to Dumbledore about their run-in with the Death Eaters. When he returned, there was not a trace of the sadness and guilt that had wracked him the night before, and with a brilliant smile he tossed her a pastry and led her through the village.

They had to walk to the opposite side of Durbuy to meet a wizard who reminded Penny immensely of Mr. Weasley. He went by Maes and was an elderly man with more energy than a toddler. Maes' house reminded Penny of a junkyard, except it was only littered with antique muggle vehicles.

Being a wizarding village, there were no forms of muggle transportation to be found, and if Maes had not so graciously agreed to drive them, Penny and Lupin would have had to make a day's journey on foot to the train that would take them across into Germany.

They squished into the bed of his pickup, his dog, Lambert poking his head through the window from time-to-time to give Penny a kiss in exchange for a pat. It made her think about Fleamont, who Hagrid had agreed to care for while Penny was away. Fleamont did not seem to mind the arrangement at all, and settled right on top of Fang when Penny had dropped him off. Fang seemed less sure about this arrangement, giving the cat a wary look, but seemed to decide it was better just to let the cat take the lead.