Chap. 21

She stood in front of the door. Taking a deep breath, she lifted her arm to knock on the door. Then she took a step back and put her hands clasped behind her head.

"Percy?" A voice said. She turned to see Mr. Chase getting out of his car. "Are you ok? Where's Annabeth? Where have you been the past year?"

She had been dreading this day.

"Why don't you come inside" he said, noting that she did not answer his questions. "Maybe my wife will have some cookies."

"Professor chase... is she home? This matter contains both of you. And maybe not the kids" "very well" he unlocked his front door and walked in, holding it for her. She nodded in thanks and walked in. A coloration of Legos sat on the floor; nothing had changed. Deciding to keep her shoes on she walked to the kitchen.

She took a shaky breath. How was she supposed to go about this? 'Hey, your only daughter is dead sorry.'

About ten minutes of sitting in silence Mrs. Chase walked in with two boys who looked like that were in 5th or 6th grade.

"Boys, why don't you go up to your room. Your mom and I have something to talk about with Percy."
They walked up stairs, giving glances to their mom then to Percy. They could sense something was wrong.

Percy took a deep breath and watched Mrs. Chase sit down at the table. 
"How's Annabeth?" She said, concern in her facial features. She took another beep breath, trying to keep her Composer.

"Mr. and Mrs. Chase, I-I am so sorry-" her voice broke. Tears began to prickle at her eyes. She looked to the two adults. "I am so, so sorry" she kept a sob in. "It's all my fault. I wasn't able to save her" Mrs. chase got up to use the bathroom, no doubt to whip her eyes.

It was clear that she cared for her. She didn't hold any hostile feelings to her. Eventually Annabeth came home, and they worked it out a little bit.

All she could do was watch as a father took in the death of his only daughter. She felt her own heart sink to the bottom of her stomach. Watching as he clutched his hair in tuffs. His elbows on the table. Tears fell from his eyes, and sniffles could be Heard. Gods, why couldn't she have done better. The sound of his sob after sob breaking her heart more. Tears finally fell from her eyes.

"I'm so sorry" she sobbed. He looked up as if forgetting she was there. Annabeth looked like her father. Expect the eyes. She had her mother's eyes.

How could the fates be so cruel. They were just getting their relationship back together.
But of course, once the fates get bored something must happen. She hated Zeus and Hera, but she hated the fates more.

It was hard to describe how she was feeling. Her heart and lungs felt as if they could join her stomach and intestines. As if there was nothing there were her heart used to be. And she had every right to feel that way. She just told a parent that their kid died. But it was her best friend. And she was still down there. In that pit.

Anger bubbled up; how could she have done this. Left her to rot in the hell hole. One of the monsters probably bragging to the others like there team had won a game.

Unaware of the inner battle that Percy was having, Mr. chase put a hand in her shoulder. "Percy, I'm sure you did everything you could to protect her" except she didn't... if she had just let loose a little earlier than she would be safe. Only after her conformed death did she go Rouge.

She had brought a box that Annabeth wanted to go to her father.

He opened the box, it contained some papers, with sketches others seemed to be unsent letters. Others were blueprints. He took out some envelopes, looking through them then handing one to Percy.

It had her name on it. She turned it over looking at the seal. Then put it in her butt pocket, knowing if she read it she would break down into tears again. She didn't need that right now.

Mrs. Chase came back into the room her eyes red and her cheeks tear stained. He looked to his wife, handing her a letter too. Then he placed two more in front of the box, the names of her stepbrothers on them.

As Mr. Chase dug through the box, a thought came to Percy's mind. What if she knew she was going to die this quest. What if she had to write one to her family for each quest. That broke her heart.  How many times had she written one, only for it to be shoved into a trash bin. Because she did not die.

What a cruel and twisted joke to play on people. 'You think you're going to die? Lol not this time'.

the pipes in the house began to grown and she had to take control again.

"Mom? What's wrong? Why are you crying?" Matthew said, his brother Bobby behind him. "You two, come here" she said, moving a chair aside and sitting in it.

"You know how Annabeth is a hero right?" She said to her boys, putting a hand on each of their cheeks. "She saved the world a bunch of times, you know that right?" Her voice cracked. "Yeah?" Bobby said, unsure where this was heading. "Well, you know that sometimes- sometimes heroes don't always live to have their happy ending."

"No" Matthew said. Panic and tears filling his eyes. Percy felt something similar. Very similar. "No. No no no no no" he began to gasp for air as if he couldn't breathe. The tears fell slowly down his face as he could not help but feel alone. Despite having his twin next to him and his mother in front of him.

Bobby looked confused as to why his brother would have such a bad reaction. "What?" His voice confused and fearful. "Annabeth is not coming home" she said. "She's staying at camp again?" Still confused, why would Matt be so sad that she was staying at camp? She had done it for five years once and this year, all year. With little trips but that was nothing.

She looked to her husband, unable to put it any less bluntly. How could she describe to her innocent son that his big sister was dead. They didn't have the best relationship, but they played Legos and build things. They read books, and she helped them with homework. And yet it was the reality of it.

"Bobby" Percy finally said. "I'm so sorry" 'sorry' what an empty word. A word that could not describe what she was feeling. How the two boys in front of her no longer had a sister.

But all she could do is watch as realization, sadness, anger, despair hit his facial features all in that order. Finally settling on a blank expression. Something that mirrored what Percy was feeling. How the word 'sorry' felt to her. The way that it had been used to much that to her, it was just a word. It held no meaning over her whatsoever.

She left, not able to handle the emotions that where in that household. She got into the car, wishing that she had brought snow with her. She always calmed Percy down. She leaned her head on the steering wheel. She felt her body shake as she tried so hard not to cry.

An: I have a question, would a half -bloods blood be like a shimmery red? Like you know how the gods blood is like gold and you know, regular blood is red. So, is half-blood blood shiny? For research purposes of course.

Word count 1327