Straykids EP. 3 - The 1st Step to Debut

Haejin's Outfit:

Haejin POV:

'I'm on a hellevator!' Changbin finished powerfully. Absolute silence filled the room. I tried to steady my breathing as my chest rose and fell rapidly. I wriggled my sore toes inside my shoes and waited for JYP to speak. Boiling beads of sweat dripped down my face, lingering on my chin, before disappearing into my black top. My pants clung on my shaking legs like plaster. I felt the loose strands of my ponytail prick my neck and I chewed on the inside of my cheeks. JYP sighed and looked up from his paper. I tried to focus my gaze on him but failed as his pink pen caught my attention. Who knew pens could be so interesting right now? He started speaking and I felt my bare belly twist with anxiety. It lurched and I felt like I was sick. More sweat fell down my chin and got soaked by my heavy top. The strap was digging into my skin and goose bumps sprouted on my arms. 

"If you can't show teamwork, you will not be able to debut together." His voice played in my head again and again like someone has stomped on the rewind button in my brain. My spine shivered when I felt his eyes land on me. I tried to stop myself from shaking. I wasn't enjoying this moment at all. 'I know that you all have practiced and prepared together.' he said. I let the words sink in like a pair of fangs grazing my neck. I felt my breath hitch and cut, I sense that there will be a harsh cliticisation after this. I took a gulp off air and refused to let it out. 'But rather than sticking with someone who lack the skills.' he paused. I felt tears banging on the bars in my eyes to set them free but pushed them back as I blinked. 'And lowering the skills of the whole group.' he continued, I let go of my breath and swallowed.

'Those who are lacking, will NOT be able to debut.' he said calmly. I can sense the guilt in his voice even though it was far from full of emotion.  I can feel every heartbeat on my veins, the tension in my over worked muscles and the stress in my bones. I can almost hear the tense music pouring form my aching heart. I knew we didn't satisfy him. My hips are numb. An electric shock like feeling radiated from my head down to my feet. I pricked my tongue with my canines, a light rusty taste rippled across my tongue. I pressed together my chapped lips, almost slicing myself with the dehydrated skin. JYP flipped through his papers. I clenched my fist until my knuckles were deathly white. 'Risk of elimination members.' he spoke steadily. 

'Jeongin.'

I turned over to see the boys face shatter. His throat moved slightly as he tried to fight back his tears.

'Hyunjin.' 

I glanced at Hyunjin. His bright face was emotionless. His eyes looked dull and hopeless. I saw him shuffle slightly.

When I thought things couldn't get worser.

'Minho'

My head jerked up to his name. His orbs were glassy and his lips were quivering. A shocked expression frozen on his face. No, this can't be it. Not him too.

'Haejin'

JYP looked at me. I felt my heart give away to the gravity. Sinking all the way to my feet. I let out a small gasp. I covered my mouth.

'The four of you, at this level would be hard you you to debut.' he said finally.

I nodded along with the three boys.

The rest of his comments were blurry. 

He kept criticising us.

The older boys looked so lost and broken.

I can't just get my hopes down.

'Haejin, you did well. Your voice was stable and you used your voice well. But, I can sense that you are nervous. You also messed your part of the choreography. Even though you trained for the shortest period time, you must work harder.'

I must keep working.

I need to debut with Straykids.

you must work harder

Hopefully.

I must work harder