chapter 7

Jezebel's pov

Waking up, I felt refreshed. Confusion tickled my brain as to why I had finally slept well after all these years of nightmares invaded me.

An arm around my waist startled me into flight or fight, my brain shut off into attack mode, shoving Jezebel into the box without warning. I grab the arm and quickly twist my body, the body hitting the floor with a thud. I lunge across the room, throwing shit around as I search for one of my knives. Finding one, I grip it and roll to the side as arms barely miss grabbing my body.

A body halts my movement and I swipe my knife at it, hearing a grunt when I find target. The person roughly pins my arms above my head, and I thrash around in argument.

"Bel? Be- Stop! What are you doing?"

My mind snaps into recognition and I stop struggling, finally looking at him.

When Gabriele sees that I'm back in my lucid state, he releases my wrists. I immediately scoot back and hold my arms to my chest, breathing heavily.

"I'm so sorry, I- I didn't even mean- Your arm just- fuck i'm sorry." I stammered out at him.

He watches me carefully, not saying anything, and I spot where I cut him. Guilt washes over my face, and I stand to grab my first aid.

Shaking my head as I re-enter the room, I gesture for him to sit on my bed. He sits without a word, and I set the kit besides him, grabbing out a cloth and dabbing an ointment on it.

His hand pushes my hair behind my ear as he whispers, "Are you okay angel?"

I flinch, but I don't move away.

My brain was in distress after the quick switch in demeanors. It was easier when the change was something I could be aware of while it was happening, not something to wake up and be the soldier I was created into.

I murmur back, "I'm perfectly fine," focusing hard on his wound.

His hand found it's way to my jaw and forced my head up, "Bel, c'mon."

Sighing, I placed a large bandage over the wound, ghosting my fingers over it as my guilt consumes me.

"I'm so fucking sorry." I close my eyes and run my hands through my hair aggressively.

"Hey hey hey," his hands grabbed mine, "Let's talk, yeah?"

Hot. Stop.

"You just scared me, okay?" I mumble quietly.

"You knew you fell asleep with me though." His voice was kind, like I was a patient about to jump.

I rub my hands together nervously, "It's complicated."

"I'm sure I can keep up" he replies back, rubbing his hands down my arms.

Shaking my head, I begin as I remember he is still a stranger despite our night together, "I'm not used to good things happening when people wake me up, that's all."

Gabriele's eyes darken, "Please elaborate further."

Letting a soft smile form, I shake my head again, "It's not something to talk about, do you want breakfast?"

Gabriele seemed to hesitate, pulling my wrists around his neck and my body against his. His lips found mine and the kiss was gentle. I kissed back, desperate for the emotion poured into the kiss.

Gabriele pulls away and stares at me intently, like he's trying to figure out the puzzle with no idea what the picture actually is. It reminds me that I let my guard down, that I allowed lust and kind acts to lure me into him. I was trained better than this, I knew the dangers of strangers and them knowing my true identity. Still, I let him in where the real Jezebel resides, he could've reached out and touched her if he had wished.